engine coolant fan won't turn on

Johnny v

Fan for ac side works fine. The engine coolant side won't turn on. So I checked the fan by unplugging the temperate switch jumped it and it turned on. Fan fine. Checked relay good. Replaced temp switch and temperature sensor.... Still won't turn on. Help!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Where is your tempurature reading on the gauge? Have you inspected the thermostat? Nothing will kick on if it doesnt know it needs to.

Restotech

Respected
Where did you get the temp switch from. I got 3 bad ones in a row from O'Reilly (import direct) brand, before buying another brand from autozone that actually worked.

Johnny v

Hex my dash reads fine, the needle stops about right in the middle. I have not look at thermostat. Thx.

Restotech napa both sensor and switch. Im kinda thinking the switch is bad too. It's strange the car has never over heated but when I opened the hood I noticed a sweet smell of coolant and I think the radiator is releasing pressure.

Restotech

Respected
Test the radiator cap to make sure it hold the proper pressure. You will have to find a tech with a tester or just replace it. If the fan runs when u jump the switch, then it is either a bad switch or switch not reaching temp due to bad cap, air trapped in engine or clog where switch screws in. When u removed the switch did coolant pour out?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Hex my dash reads fine, the needle stops about right in the middle. I have not look at thermostat. Thx.

Restotech napa both sensor and switch. Im kinda thinking the switch is bad too. It's strange the car has never over heated but when I opened the hood I noticed a sweet smell of coolant and I think the radiator is releasing pressure.
Check your overflow tank, is it constantly flowing over? If so its spilling coolant from the overflow port. This would be due to high engine temperatures or overheating.

Johnny v

Test the radiator cap to make sure it hold the proper pressure. You will have to find a tech with a tester or just replace it. If the fan runs when u jump the switch, then it is either a bad switch or switch not reaching temp due to bad cap, air trapped in engine or clog where switch screws in. When u removed the switch did coolant pour out?

Johnny v

Coolant pored out when I removed switch. I'm going to purchase a new cap and see what happens. The over flow is fine it has been at the max line cold or hot. Thanks for the replies I was just checking to see if I was missing something.