Engine Flush, good or bad?

CivicEx'00

Is doing an engine flush a good thing or a bad thing to do (car has 150 k ) ? Any benefits at all?

Thank you.
From what I've read it depends on the type of cleaner and the age/condition of the engine. Seafoam is a fairly aggressive cleaner, and sometimes it wears on engine seals, causing leaks that hadn't been there before, if it's left in too long or too much is used. Another reason is that on old cars, some of the carbon/residue build up is helping the engine seal, again, causing new leaks when all of that is cleaned out

But: if your car was well maintained, and you use it in the right concentration and for the right period of time, they can be beneficial to your engine.

More times than not I hear horror stories though, so if you're not experienced with doing so, I wouldn't risk an expensive repair

MotorMo

Respected
My 2 cents- not worth it, at all... "If your engine isn't broke, don't fix it." unless you're fixing it to go faster :drive:

Hondaman4ever

Thank you guys for the replies. Yeah I don't think I'll be doing this. I've done a lot of reading yesterday and it looks like it's more bad than good although I once did a flush -I think I used Gunk brand- on an old Accord with over 100,000 miles on it and it didn't do any harm. But I'll just skip it.

Quinnstont

In my experience, using Kleen-Flo brand flush i have found that my oil stays cleaner longer. Empty a bottle into the oil, go for a 5 minute drive, then change the oil like normal. Before using it, i found that my oil would be dirty very soon after changing it, but after a flush it seems to stay nice and golden for longer. Not to say use it every oil change, but i suppose every now and again. Just my .02

Laura Jean

I was told at my last oil change that they "highly recommend" i get an engine flush on Honda Civic 2010. What is an engine flush anyway?

Laura Jean

Okay thanks. I am trying to figure out what all needs to be done. 31,500 miles. 2010. New battery 2014. Tires last year. Keep up with oil changes, rotation, etc. Had a few other things done in 2015 like
Power Steering Flush, Brake Fluid Flush, Clean and adjust rear brakes, new wipers

Laura Jean

Your car seems well maintained. If your low mileage engine needs a flush, there's a larger underlying problem that must first be addressed.

Did the Honda dealer make the engine flush recommendation?
No JiffyLube did where i get oil changes. They also said to replace the cabin filter and air filter

Laura Jean

the place where I got my new tires is very reputable and very close by. Am thinking of having them do things. They provide lifetime rotation/balance. Thank you!! I plan to get both filters changed next time. Appreciate your comments