Engine help

b00mhower

Ok so I got my multimeter and tested the injectors again and my top one is only reading 1.2 ohms, the bottom is reading 8. Isn't spec 10-13? Does this mean both injectors need replaced?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

b00mhower

The Podunk little pocket meter I used before is apparently only good for continuity tests

b00mhower

Didn't have a chance to pull apart my distributor yet, got voluntold to clean out a barn. If I have a chance to work on it before sundown ill post numbers

b00mhower

Coil tested at .6 ohms which looks like the low end of spec

b00mhower

Did you subtract the internal resistance of your multimeter from the pimary coil reading?

What was the secondary coil reading?
...s**t, didn't even think about that and didn't test the secondary. Was kinda rushed

b00mhower

Haven't had time to figure internal resistance, need to find my resistor set

b00mhower

Resistor set?

Set the multimeter to its lowest Ohm scale and touch the probes together. What's the reading?
My bad, every time I've had to test for internal resistance I've had to use a battery and a mehaohm resistor. Touching probe is .1 ohm

b00mhower

Redo the primary coil test.

Redo internal Ohm reading of meter.

primary - internal = actual primary coil reading

Repeat a few times to verify readings.

Note that the coil must be removed from the car and brought into your house to get proper readings.

Post a pic of your multimeter if you're not sure how to use it.
Still had it inside so went and tested again. Still reading .6 so minus the internal resistance I'm at .5 ohms on the primary. 3 tests same results

b00mhower

Nice work with the troubleshooting diagnostics.

Replace the coil. Then go from there.

Good luck!
What about the injector that read way low? Wouldn't that be a big problem too?
When was the last full ignition system tune up (plugs/wires/cap, rotor/ignition timing) done on your car?
Great question, I have no clue but it's about due.

b00mhower

Sorry I haven't been updating haven't had time. Got the new coil in, had some discrepancies with the parts store on shipping and pricing with plugs and wires so still waiting on those. I got tje coil hooked up and decided to try it. It started right up ran at high idle for a bit then it settled down like it was gonna idle normally then it up and died. Cranked it again and it fired a few times then nothing. Coil still tests fine and it smells like it's getting fuel. Not sure what to look at next

Edit: I did put a new top injector in, I didn't test it when I got it but I looked and it's only reading 1.2 ohms

Last edited:

b00mhower

Just put in 4 new plugs and spark is white on all 4, still nada