Engine missing after cleaning IACV

joeshmo

Hey guys. I've gotta 98 civic LX with a 1.6L D16 SOHC. I recently bought this car. The first time I drove it, the engine was snappy and frugal and made a 120mile trip no problem. Now I am running into problems.

The engine has been running with a rough idle and hesitating on acceleration, especially when warm. It often misses and makes the car shudder or "rock" while driving, even over 2 or 3k rpm. I figured it was probably the throttle body so I cleaned the hell out of the TB and the IACV. I cleaned using NAPA TB cleaner and simple green as well as a tooth and scrub brush. I let it dry for 30 mins, found out I had ripped my TB gasket and called everywhere in a 30 miles radius looking for one. Noone had one so I ordered one that will be in tomorrow and I picked up some form-a-gasket. I applied the form a gasket to the torn area of my throttle body gasket, allowed it to get tacky and then re-installed. The first time I reinstalled, I accidentally forgot to plug in the TPS and obviously the car ran like an absolute can of garbage. I plugged in the TPS and it runs even WORSE! Now it stutters, misfires and stalls if you try to put ANY strain on the engine. It threw a CEL and I checked it using my ODB reader, I have codes P0103 or Mass Air Flow (MAF) Circuit High Input and P1399 (misfire detected.) Could the high MAF reading be coming from my vaccum leak (I'm assuming I have one due to the crappy "gasket")? Could that also be causing my rough idle, hesitation and lack of power? Any tips would be highly appreciated.

joeshmo

I just finished my tuneup with a new PCV (old one was frozen solid) and an oil change. I got more engine codes for all the cylinders missing (0300-0304). The engine now runs well at around 1200RPM and then plummets to an alleged 0 and chugs and missfires for a few seconds. What else do I have to change/clean for a solid idle? Should I try to adjust the idle speed screw?

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmm i'd get that gasket in first, then check back in

joeshmo

hmm i'd get that gasket in first, then check back in
Will do, tomorrow morning at 8AM before my first class. Let's hope this works, if not I'm walking to campus.

joeshmo

Replaced the gasket. Engine sounds much healthier now, CEL went away, but it idles at 1500 then surges up and down to 2500rpm and 1000rpm. It idles at a nice 1500 if I turn the A/C on. Do I just need to re-learn idle?

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just reported the spam thread above, the forum is for cars not high priced hookers, hate these guys!

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hahaha , for a second i thought u were talking about joe ... loll then i realized that the post was deleted lolll ,
Haha, it got deleted quick, I reported the same post in like 8 other threads, I hate spammers especially ones that don't even pertain to the topic or even the site for that matter, lol, no joe is cool.

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Replaced the gasket. Engine sounds much healthier now, CEL went away, but it idles at 1500 then surges up and down to 2500rpm and 1000rpm. It idles at a nice 1500 if I turn the A/C on. Do I just need to re-learn idle?
Might need to replace the IACV sensor for the surges in idle, the misfire codes, better get the head gasket looked at if it has not been changed, check to see the color of your oil & make sure it doesn't look milky, happened to me.

LedZepp86

2000 CivicSE
Haha, it got deleted quick, I reported the same post in like 8 other threads, I hate spammers especially ones that don't even pertain to the topic or even the site for that matter, lol, no joe is cool.

Lol yeah , if im not mistaken it was the post about the asian women ... lol i reported that one too on two threads !!!

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm married, I don't need Asian hookers, so back to the topic, hehe!

joeshmo

I replaced the gasket, to no avail. The engine still missed and stumbled and wouldn't go anywhere.

I replaced the distributor cap as it was bad and I cleaned the dist rotor as it was corroded. After this, the engine began to run with an occasional misfire and surging between 1000-2000 rpm.
Nothing seemed to help and then...
I replaced the fuel filter. Engine immediately sounded happier, no more stumble, starts much more quickly. The idle is still going from 1000-2000 RPM in 2 second cycles but it is driveable now. I'm going to clean my engine grounds and play with the TPS.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah was gonna say might as well change the fuel filter while ur at it. For the fluctuating idle problem have you tried testing if it's the fitv? Let your car warm up and pull off the intake tubing. There will be 2 holes in the throttle body and upper and lower one. With the car warmed up cover the bottom hole with your finger, it should NOT be sucking. If the idle drops the FITV is ur culprit. Could also check to see if your PCV valve is clogged or broken.

joeshmo

The y7 actually doesn't have a FITV. But I JUST replaced the PCV and it didn't seem to have done anything. What should happen when I unplug my TPS? Right now, the idle goes up to 2000rpm.

LedZepp86

2000 CivicSE
The y7 actually doesn't have a FITV. But I JUST replaced the PCV and it didn't seem to have done anything. What should happen when I unplug my TPS? Right now, the idle goes up to 2000rpm.
from what i heard it should be a throttle problem but u tried that already ... im actually stumped ! Sorry , keep us updated ima try to think about that issue lol it bugs me too even tho it isnt mine hahah

joeshmo

from what i heard it should be a throttle problem but u tried that already ... im actually stumped ! Sorry , keep us updated ima try to think about that issue lol it bugs me too even tho it isnt mine hahah
Thanks for the concern! Could you check and see what happens when you un-plug your TPS while the engine is running and let me know?