Engine Overheating, checked everything...

reichbc

"Brandon"
I've checked all the overheating posts I could find and I just can't tack this one down...

In the mornings, I'll come out to my car and start it, let it warm up, etc. I'll drive it to say, my girl's house a few miles away, and let it idle in the driveway. After a bit, the temp gauge will just start slowly rising up really close to the red. Holding the engine at 2500 for a couple seconds brings it back down, and driving off does, too. Basically, any time it's sitting still for more than a few minutes, the temp gauge goes up.

Replaced both thermostat switches, coolant system is full, no leaks, fan does work, water pump works, everything I've checked that could possibly cause it is fine. I just can't track down the issue and I'm afraid that too much of this is going to make my engine explode or melt or something....

Any ideas, friends?

blk456

I had a friend purchase a 98 LX sedan with that same issue and his problem was the radiator was clogged. He installed a new one and all was fixed. Hope this helps ya.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If it's not the cap I would flush the system out with water a couple times. I had a problem in my old car like that and we found out there was a lot of crap in the system and a couple flushes fixed the problem.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Could be the pump, if the above doesnt fix it. I've seen more then a few cars where all, or all but 1 of the blades were missing. They have sort of the same symptoms, they wont move enough water at idle to keep the motor cool, once you increase the rpms, they move enough water to bring the temps back down.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mine did that once when it completely ran out of coolant haha. fine when theres air blowing in to cool it down, but when u hit lights it's over heat

reichbc

"Brandon"
bad radiator cap? can someone explain why it would cause this? i have no idea...

Flushed the system a few months ago with no clog-like foreign material coming out... thanks for the suggestion :D

Trekk, thanks for that. it didn't occur to me that there might be blades missing. They are probably heavy enough to get caught somewhere in the system to where a flush would not get it out.

Evilrilla, a bad head gasket would cause leaks, I believe... It's not leaking, so unless it's leaking into the cylinders... but that would cause white smoke out the tail wouldnt it? I don't get that either.

Thanks for the suggestions, definitely gonna check on the impeller blades and waiting on a response to the radiator cap.

This is why I love this community. :D

RonJ

Banned
Sounds like a partially clogged radiator. Have you replaced the thermostat and bled the cooling system recently?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The cap on the radiator keeps the system pressurized, thus raising the boiling point of the coolant. If the cap is bad, the pressure drops, boiling point in turn drops which causes the engine to heat up faster.

Are you sure your system is completely full? What you are describing are the main symptoms of a system that is low on coolant.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Just to add to the guy above. A civic cap is 16 psi I'm pretty sure, that will increase the boiling point 48deg. 3 deg per PSI. Depending where you live (elevation), water boils at 212deg or lower, adding coolant, depending on the mix will increase the boiling point more, say like 225deg. then add the cap +48deg and now the boiling point is 273deg.

The cap has a release valve built in it, when max pressure is reached, the valve is pushed open. When that happens, excess coolant flows into the reservoir, tank. Back in the old days cars would just dump the fluid onto the street, but then you always had to keep the system topped off. The newer (well not really new) systems have a tank (reservoir) the fluid can flow back and forth between when needed to keep the system topped off.

Avion

5+ Year Member
Over Heating problem troubleshooting.

1) Radiator partly clogged. Look inside a see if the capaleries look constricted.
2) Radiator fan not turning on when required. See if the fan turns on at proper speed when temp is reached.
3) Bugs, dirt, mud blocking air flow. Place a drop light behind the radiator. You should see the light clearlyfrom the front of the car. Back spray to dislodge dirt and bugs.
4) Thermostat. Check for proper operation. Check for correct temperture stamp. Is it installed correctly?
5) Head Gasket. Any evidence of oil in coolant? Any evidence of coolant/water in oil?
6) Temp Sending Unit. Is the car really overheating or the sending unit sending a false signal.
7) Temp gauge is defective or connections to it are compremised.
8) Leaks. Most are visible,some require dyes for better viewing.
9) Intake manifold gasket. Some cars coolant flow near the intake gasket, if it leaks it gets suck in and burnt with the fuel. White smoke then appears.
10) Incorrect timing. Recent timing belt change? Tune up? ECM acting up?

Just about all of the above I have seen working on my and friends cars. I hope this helps