Engine Overheating

str33tpr3p

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So lately my engine has been overheating alot at first i thought it might be time for a new headgasket so i did that brand new oil change than a few days later it kept overheating so i checked my radiator and it was empty so filled that back up than once a gain a day later its empty and its overheating again so i bought a new radiator and checked all the hoses there is no leaks like there is no puddles or anything under the car when i check in the mornings so i was wondering what else could it be? Maybe my water pump im really not sure at this point and i cant keep buying a jug of antifreeze every second day =(

So please help me !
its a d16z6 by the way.

RonJ

Banned
Under what conditions does the engine overheat?

Have you replaced the thermostat and radiator cap?

Have you bled the cooling system?

Was the head milled flat when you replaced the head gasket?

str33tpr3p

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just driving it normally, like all the rad fluid just disapears but i dont think its leaking so im not sure where its going because ive never seen a puddle under car in the morning. ... No to the thermostat or radiator cap though.

RonJ

Banned
Start here: Replace the thermostat and radiator cap, and then bleed the cooling system.

Was the head milled flat when you replaced the head gasket?

str33tpr3p

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I dont see how that will make it so i dont lose all my radiator fluid thought = /

And i was not the one who installed it i will have to ask my friends dad because he was the one who did it. What exactly does milled flat mean?

str33tpr3p

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just not sure how the thermostat or radiator cap will empty my radiator everyday. Like where else could it go? There doesnt seem to be leaks in the hose, i got a brand new radiator. Im looking to find a way to fix this as quick as possible, i heard someone say it might be my water pump? Any ideas on how to fix it is much appreciated.

RonJ

Banned
Just not sure how the thermostat or radiator cap will empty my radiator everyday. Like where else could it go? There doesnt seem to be leaks in the hose, i got a brand new radiator.
Why post a thread asking for advice if you are unwilling to listen and dismiss suggestions?

If the thermostat and/or radiator cap are bad, the engine will overheat and the cooling system will over-pressurize, forcing coolant and coolant vapor to leak past the cap or boil out of the reservoir.

And did you ever bleed the cooling system?

Is the coolant reservoir empty or overfilled or boiling when the engine over heats? Do you see gas bubbles in the radiator coolant?

You also seriously need to consider that the head gasket job was botched, most likely because the head may not have been milled flat when the gasket was replaced.

str33tpr3p

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im going to pick up a radiator cap today as well as a new thermostat and hoses. And the coolan reservoir is empty. It also overheats very quickly it will be from normal to removing the radiator came and it steaming out in a matter of minutes.

Yeah i am considering that im going to try and replace rad cap and thermostat and if nothing changes i will probably have to redo the head gasket myself. What does it mean when you say milled flat?

RonJ

Banned
After you replace the cap and thermostat, the cooling system MUST be bled. Otherwise, over heating may continue to be a problem.

When an engine severely over heats, the shape of the head often becomes slightly warped and does not sit perfectly flush on the block. So when you replace a head gasket after it's been blown, the head must be milled flat by a machine shop to ensure it is flush with the block. Otherwise, the head gasket never seals properly and blows again.

-------------------------------------------------------
Bleeding the cooling system may take 20-30 minutes.

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push the dash heater lever/knob to MAX heat.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below (hint: the bleed bolt is located where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine):

bsd4083

5+ Year Member
Check cooling fan relay in fuse box engine compartment

So lately my engine has been overheating alot at first i thought it might be time for a new headgasket so i did that brand new oil change than a few days later it kept overheating so i checked my radiator and it was empty so filled that back up than once a gain a day later its empty and its overheating again so i bought a new radiator and checked all the hoses there is no leaks like there is no puddles or anything under the car when i check in the mornings so i was wondering what else could it be? Maybe my water pump im really not sure at this point and i cant keep buying a jug of antifreeze every second day =(

So please help me !
its a d16z6 by the way.
on my 1999 there are three identical relays on the right side of the fuse box in the engine compartment the one closest to the firewall is the fan cooling relay... these three parts are interchangeable.. i swapped two of them and my cooling fan started to word... then went and replaced the bad part.... however it may have failed because of some other reason... like a failing cooling fan... so test see if it helps... then watch it... mine was the cooling fan its-self..good luck:roll:

halfbloodazzn

I'm having the exact same problem. Is there any way I can find out what the problem is without buying anything just yet? Like careful inspection or simple tests? I'm a broke student, money is scarce! lol