Engine problems

williammw20

I own a 00 civic ex 1.6l sohc car runs fine until operating temp then wants to like choke up & I have to down shift in order to make her go but I have to get on her for her to take off & drive normal again also has an idle problem ranges from less then 1k to 2.5k any help on locating the idle control sensor ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jackdog1

I own a 00 civic ex 1.6l sohc car runs fine until operating temp then wants to like choke up & I have to down shift in order to make her go but I have to get on her for her to take off & drive normal again also has an idle problem ranges from less then 1k to 2.5k any help on locating the idle control sensor ?

There's several things that it could be. By "choke up" do you mean stall? It sounds like you have either a bad IACV or a simple vacuum leak. When's the last time your air filter was changed? Does the exhaust smell like gas fumes? Is the CEL on?

williammw20

Yes I'll be driving & all of a sudden the car just starts stalling & won't go until I down shift & the air filter is brand new yes the exhaust has smelt like gas since I bought the car. The CEL is on.

jackdog1

Yes I'll be driving & all of a sudden the car just starts stalling & won't go until I down shift & the air filter is brand new yes the exhaust has smelt like gas since I bought the car. The CEL is on.

Most likely a bad O2 sensor and/or an exhaust leak and probably a bad IACV or vacuum leak.

Get the CEL codes pulled and see what they say

jackdog1

I've got that done, the codes were PO505 twice, PO300 & PO420

Yep, PO505 is bad IACV, PO303 is random misfire (probably a side-effect of the IACV), and PO420 is an O2 sensor malfunction. I'd get the IACV replaced then check for an exhaust leak (exhaust gas fumes from engine bay?). If there's no exhaust leak, then replace the upstream O2 sensor.

williammw20

Where is the IACV located on a 00 civic & no exhaust fumes from engine bay just right below my shifter & towards the back by muffler.

jackdog1

Should be right on the back of the intake manifold, just to the right of the throttle assembly. PO420 means the reading from upstream and downstream sensors are too similar, so you might have an exhaust leak right before your catalytic converter

williammw20

Alright thanks for the help man I'm gonna do some investigating this weekend when I'm off work