Engine smokes: '93 civic Lsi

jaythecarperv

Hey! I am new to the forum and have always wanted a 5th gen!
I have bought (maybe stupidly) a 1.5 lsi hatch back eg4?
the engine smokes white a little at idle and more as it revs up.
there is also some oil around the engine.
I have started trying to clean the oil up
it does not seem to be burning oil
I have done around 200 miles in this condition

will it survive as it is? have i got blown rings or headgasket?
if it does is this going to be mega bucks? im not rich :(

are there any garages that will swap these out for different motors?

i have a few pictures of, the car IMG_0632.PNG IMG_0639.JPG IMG_0640.JPG

Attachments

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Welcone to the forum! Lets get straight to breaking you in.

By smoking. Do you mean white smoke is burning out of the exhaust, or from the engine bay? Have you inspected the oil to see if its a little frothy or if the antifreeze has oil in it? Those are clear signs of a blown head gasket.

Your valve cover itself doesnt seem to be leaking but thats hard to tell from your top view pictures. If its not leaking from the valve cover seam then youre fine. The top leaks seem to be your seals on the bolts. If you have oil in the spark plug cylinders then those seals are blown and likely the cause of your smoke if none of the aforementioned symptoms are present. That all comes in the valve cover gasket set. Its a simple job.

As for repairs & engine swaps, theyre rather common in the US. Unfortunately, you're one of very few members in the UK so we really cant speak for that.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I took the liberty of refining your title so its obvious youre seeking assistance. Otherwise, it sounded like a greeting instead and would cut off my the time you wrote "am i screwed?". Briefly detailed titles not only get you better attention but are easier to look up when searching for information. Get familiarized with our search function because it will help you.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Need to know if its white smoke from the exhaust or not.

White = Antifreeze/water
Blue Hue = Oil

jaythecarperv

Yes white from the exhaust, more smoke with more rpm. Oil looks okay, does not seem to be consuming it. Radiator fluid has a slight white sheen
I agree with the bolt seals for sure
thanks for all the help.
I have to work out how much time/money I can get ahold of
A D16 swap might not cost that much, I'm not sure how much money I want to throw at the D15B2 but I have to work it out quickly :-/

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You can get full D16 motors for a few hundred bucks. Monitor how much water is being consumed and that will tell you how far long you can drive around. I have been there before but instead it was a piston ring that failed and I was driving around a smoke generator. I actually got pulled over once for it and told the cop it was what it was and couldn't afford the repair at the time.

jaythecarperv

I took it for a little drive and it did not smoke at all! the coolant has not been dropping either. I'm not certain but could have been a little colder that evening ? ( shrunk seals? )
I have decided to start maintenance and go from there, PCV, IACV, ETC
May do fluids, any old 5w-30 okay?
You are all Hero's ;-)