Engine temperature changing radically on high rpm

vtec1707

5+ Year Member
I've got a D15b SOHC VTEC, manul tranny.(JDM hatch) I noticed that everytime i run the rpm up to about 7000 between shifts the temperature guage runs past half mark but not to 'H' but then goes back down to normal after a while. if i drive normal it doesn't. Does anyone know why this happens or is this normal?

xNOBOOSTx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Running the motor that hard usually causes it to get hotter since each cylinder fires in a shorter amount of time. That is probably why you running hot when you hound on it. Or there might be a problem somewhere in your cooling system.

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sensors?
you have enough oil? is there anything blockin you raditator? do your fans come on when it gets that high? if theres no air blowing towards the radiator then that could be it.

like when you rev does the temp go up and down like an oil pressure gauge or..?

vtec1707

5+ Year Member
If i rev it up to engage vtec between shifts the temperature goes up slowly above normal but then it moves back slowly if i drive normal. Oil is good, fan is cycling properly and no loss of water. Also i noticed this happening yesterday. the outdoor temperature was about 88F. I installed the engine (used JDM) about 2 weeks ago and the mileage was about 12000miles. Could the thermostat be a problem???

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
vtec1707 said:
If i rev it up to engage vtec between shifts the temperature goes up slowly above normal but then it moves back slowly if i drive normal. Oil is good, fan is cycling properly and no loss of water. Also i noticed this happening yesterday. the outdoor temperature was about 88F. I installed the engine (used JDM) about 2 weeks ago and the mileage was about 12000miles. Could the thermostat be a problem???

That would be my first guess.

Vitamin_EK9

I Do This
5+ Year Member
a friend of mine had this problem we changed the thermostat but i still happend we then found out that the fan wouldnt turn on so check those 2 things.

vampiremaknel

5+ Year Member
yea, cheapest thing to do, is take the thermostat off... u dont really really need it.. then run it like that... if it doesnt heat up like it usually does.. then there u go... if u wanna install a new one.. then do it.. and if it still heat up.. then its most likely your radioator, take it off, and get it cleaned out at a shop.. and smack in it again.. if it still heats up.. then try running the engine on a cleaner that u put in the water with the radioator to clean the rest of the engine cooling lines... make shure u clean out good, read the instruction on the bottle... of none of these work... then i dunno man.. a problem witha fan should be obvious i think... and sensors... i dont think that the problem.. because a burned sensor wouldnt turn on at all....

u could also try getting a friends fan.. and exchanging them to see if it could be the fan...

xzodiackillerx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if its hot and you stop the car and sit at idle the fan should be on... is there any oil in your coolant.. sounds like a headgasket to me