Engine trouble: 98 civic EX

DJayT

Was headed down the freeway when engine started rattling and lost compression. Oil was almost nonexistent. Now it makes a rattling noise when accelerating weather in gear or not. Cranks up fine but will not stay running on its own. I'm more than confident I can do the work myself. but if anyone could help me diagnose the issue. that would be greatly appreciated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your explanation is far too vague thus far. An engine has hundreds of parts, so there are many things that can "rattle". Be more specific as to where you hear this in the engine, describe the noise, and if acceleration increases or quiets the sounds. How do you know you lost compression?

Also, what on earth do you mean by "Oil was almost nonexistent" as that makes no sense. Do you mean you had no present oil after the event? Have you added oil since then? What have you inspected and checked?

If your check-engine light is on then provide us with the codes.

DJayT

Your explanation is far too vague thus far. An engine has hundreds of parts, so there are many things that can "rattle". Be more specific as to where you hear this in the engine, describe the noise, and if acceleration increases or quiets the sounds. How do you know you lost compression?

Also, what on earth do you mean by "Oil was almost nonexistent" as that makes no sense. Do you mean you had no present oil after the event? Have you added oil since then? What have you inspected and checked?

If your check-engine light is on then provide us with the codes.
The rattling seems to be coming from the timing chain side, driver side of the engine. When accelerating the rattling noise increases, and decreases when it's idled. When the rattling began I let off the gas pedal, When I went to step on the Excelerator, gently. The Car did not seem to accelerate but the rattling got louder. Overheating was not a problem. The car will still crank up as I am sitting in it now. I have sense then done an oil change, there was oil in the Engine but none in the filter . and it's still having the same problems

My [emoji593] sent this

My car did not send these I just changed my signature, to be funny.. I am not able to get any codes as I do not have a reader

My [emoji593] sent this

Last edited by a moderator:

mrcraigsr

Respected
Sounds like a spun bearing but need more info

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

DJayT

No shavings in the oil but I plan to drop the oil pan. It appears I could use a new gasket.

DJayT

Sounds like a spun bearing but need more info

DJayT

I do not know what these codes mean and they would not print them out. I had to take these pictures

DJayT

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Type the codes in a Google search and be amazed at what happens... information will pop up.

Those codes have nothing to do with that sound, and you should not be driving it until you know whats wrong. A dry oil filter tells me that the oil pump may not be working. However, youre still not describing as requested so its difficult for me to trust what you say, especially when you dont know sonething as simple as you having a timing belt and not a chain, which is easily visible.

DJayT

If I said timing Chain, it's because that's what I'm used to dealing with. I apologize if I wasn't clear enough I thought I answered all of your questions.

DJayT

That's what my D16Y8 sounded like when I spun the bearing. After you install oil have you check the dipstick to see if there are shavings in the oil

May I ask what bearing you're saying I may have spun I thought you were referring to a throw out bearing which is in a manual and I have an automatic.

DJayT

mrcraigsr

Respected
If I said timing Chain, it's because that's what I'm used to dealing with. I apologize if I wasn't clear enough I thought I answered all of your questions.

DJayT

May I ask what bearing you're saying I may have spun I thought you were referring to a throw out bearing which is in a manual and I have an automatic.

DJayT
Rod bearing. You say you need a new gasket. So drop the pan when you do that take off the main bearing housing check the bearings once the main bearing housing is off your able to get to the rod bearings check those as well

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
No oil in the filter could be an oil pump issue, but also maybe not... especially if you checked the filter when the motor was cold. It's possible that the anti-drainback valve inside the filter itself is faulty. That just means that the oil inside the filter drained back out. When you start your car, oil is pumped back into the filter, though it takes a few seconds to do so. This isn't really a problem unless you start the car and instantly rev it or take off before oil has successfully built up pressure. Easy test though, go get a new oil filter. If the same dry filter issue occurs, it may be an oil pump issue.

It does sound like a rod bearing issue to me as well.

DJayT

Rod bearing. You say you need a new gasket. So drop the pan when you do that take off the main bearing housing check the bearings once the main bearing housing is off your able to get to the rod bearings check those as well

I will be getting on that today thank you very much for your help.

DJayT

DJayT

Thank you sir for all your information, you were right on target.

DJayT

DJayT

Depends on what you see when you remove the engine and inspect the damage.

How much engine repair experience do you have? In the end, you'd likely save both time and money by replacing the engine.[/as far as I can tell there is no damage the car was shut off as soon as it started making noise. For a 1998 Honda Civic EX with 240,000 miles that little bit of metal could as well be nonexistent. I am a novelist mechanic. I always turn my own wrenches.

DJayT

mrcraigsr

Respected
Pick up some new rod and main bearings it's not a hard task to do in the car

DJayT

Pick up some new rod and main bearings it's not a hard task to do in the car

Do you know where I can get a free PDF file on the repair manual? I'm not sure how to get the top bearing out and I don't want to bombard anyone win the questions.

DJayT

mrcraigsr

Respected
Do you know where I can get a free PDF file on the repair manual? I'm not sure how to get the top bearing out and I don't want to bombard anyone win the questions.

DJayT
Once you take off the main bearing housing. You can use a smaller flat head screwdriver on one side of the bearing to spin it around the crank to get them out, YouTube is your best friend here. Do a google search online for toque and pattern specs

DJayT

Once you take off the main bearing housing. You can use a smaller flat head screwdriver on one side of the bearing to spin it around the crank to get them out, YouTube is your best friend here. Do a google search online for toque and pattern specs

I have already looked on YouTube and have found nothing for my car. Upon turning the rod a spline? came out

DJayT