Engine turns but won't start

HootieMcMints

Hey y'all,

I have a 1988 civic sedan, DX model, 1.6L, manual shift. I've done all I can to trouble shoot the problem and I am out of ideas. When I try to start the vehicle the dash lights come on, all normal, and when I turn the key the engine will turn, but will not start. The car was unfortunately sitting outside during the heavy rains of tropical storm Lee, and was driven in this rain quite a bit, but it's not like it had never been rained on before. It survived quite a few of the big storms here in LA.

The first thing I checked was the battery, it is charged and holding a charge well, connections are free or corrosion and are tightly connected. I then moved on to the wires and spark plugs. I get a spark from the wires and my spark plugs were pretty oily (the car burns oil...not bad, but enough to have some amount here) so I changed out the plugs. They also are making a spark. I even took out the air filter to see if it had gotten wet and was preventing air from getting to the engine. Here's where I'm stumped. I sprayed a bit of starter fluid down where the plugs go, screwed in the plugs, attached all the wires in proper order, and the car still will not start. Not even for a second from the starter fluid. I thought if there was a spark coming from the plugs I would at least get it started for a couple of seconds from the stuff I sprayed in there.

I'm going to check the ignition and fuel systems next. But still, even if there wasn't fuel getting to the spark, that starter fluid would have ignited wouldn't it?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Here is a video of what it sounds like when I am trying to get it going: (click pic)

And yes...it has gas in the tank. :P

joeshmo

If an engine turns over but won't start, there are three big things to check:
1. Fuel.
2. Spark.
3. Timing.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If it don't catch for even a second with starter spray you've got no spark. Check your ignition coil. And you should be spraying it into the intake, not into the spark plug openings.

James315

If it don't catch for even a second with starter spray you've got no spark. Check your ignition coil. And you should be spraying it into the intake, not into the spark plug openings.
This is right however you stated you are getting spark but what has been said can still be the case may not be a strong enough spark check your coil and if thats not the problem timing.

momoxsparco558

That D series Guy
5+ Year Member
If an engine turns over but won't start, there are three big things to check:
1. Fuel.
2. Spark.
3. Timing.
Very well put sir. A car not starting may seem like a complex problem but it's really not. You are obviously getting compression if it is cranking with no high pitch wineing sound. Your starter is ok because she cranks. If you smell gas then fuel should be good. Spark plugs are fine... How do you know the plugs and wires are ok? How did you check them? My money is in the distributor. Make sure all connections are sound. Open the case. Make sure it's dry. Also Honda dizzys have issues every now and then withthescrew that holds the rotor on... They come loose and fall out. Check that out ASAP. Also are you leaking from the valve cover? They have gasket sets cheap that might fix it before things get worse.