EX model MPG ?

Hondaman4ever

Hello.
Just curious to know what kind of gas mileage EX models give since they have more horse power than the other models -excluding Si. Can you get the same mileage you get from an LX for example, if you don't push hard on the gas ? I'd really like to know.

Thanks.

CivicEx'00

Hello.
Just curious to know what kind of gas mileage EX models give since they have more horse power than the other models -excluding Si. Can you get the same mileage you get from an LX for example, if you don't push hard on the gas ? I'd really like to know.

Thanks.
Hey, I actually JUST got this car not a week ago, so I might not be the best fit to comment on long term patterns in gas mileage, sorry to not be of help

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hondaman4ever

Well, congrats on the car. From the little I've found online, it doesn't seem like there's a big difference in gas mileage between the EX and other models. It would be nice if you let me know what kind of MPG you're getting after driving the car for a while. I'm considering buying an EX for all the options it has, especially if the MPG isn't that different.

CivicEx'00

Well, congrats on the car. From the little I've found online, it doesn't seem like there's a big difference in gas mileage between the EX and other models. It would be nice if you let me know what kind of MPG you're getting after driving the car for a while. I'm considering buying an EX for all the options it has, especially if the MPG isn't that different.
So far I'd definitely recommend, it's a great car, and has well above average gas mileage from what I've seen

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Theres is actually plenty of information about Civic gas mileage per trim. Assuming you have an automatic, coupes get roughly 28c/32h while sedans may get around 26c/30h.

Hondaman4ever

So far I'd definitely recommend, it's a great car, and has well above average gas mileage from what I've seen

Yes I know it is a great car. It's a Civic with all the convenient options, which makes it even better however, gas mileage is a concern for me and I'm not sure it's a model I'd be considering if the difference in MPG is 5 or more (than what other models give). But who knows? the V-tec engine with the extra horse power, in addition to all the other conveniences is tempting.

Hondaman4ever

Theres is actually plenty of information about Civic gas mileage per trim. Assuming you have an automatic, coupes get roughly 28c/32h while sedans may get around 26c/30h.
Yes but reported MPG info differ from one site to the other for the same trim (Ex). I thought hearing from someone who has the car is always better.

I actually wanted to know about the manual (5 spd). Is there anyway it will give 37 MPG/ Hwy ?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yes but reported MPG info differ from one site to the other for the same trim (Ex). I thought hearing from someone who has the car is always better.

I actually wanted to know about the manual (5 spd). Is there anyway it will give 37 MPG/ Hwy ?
If you baby it, shift properly, and the car is up on maintenance, etc., it's possible. MPG varies because everyone has a different style of driving so there's really no one set answer as to an exact MPG.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you baby it, shift properly, and the car is up on maintenance, etc., it's possible. MPG varies because everyone has a different style of driving so there's really no one set answer as to an exact MPG.
Very true. Not to mention local terrain and traffic factors. Read through this thread for further contributory factors.

http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/how-to-better-mpg.215664/

Fuel efficient cars are affected by many things. My fool of a brother got about 20 mpg on his automatic EX sedan because he drove like the kid he is and didnt address a steering issue.

Hondaman4ever

OK. Thank you all for the replies. Of course I realize there are many factors involved in what MPG a car can give. Heck, I even think a nicely polished car can give a slightly better MPG than a dirty one. lol.
Anyway, that would be really good if EX can give 37 MPG/Hwy. According to some sites, it's 32-34 MPG/hwy, but I know that's not entirely accurate.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
OK. Thank you all for the replies. Of course I realize there are many factors involved in what MPG a car can give. Heck, I even think a nicely polished car can give a slightly better MPG than a dirty one. lol.
Anyway, that would be really good if EX can give 37 MPG/Hwy. According to some sites, it's 32-34 MPG/hwy, but I know that's not entirely accurate.
Yeah, it's absolutely possible. I managed 36MPG with my RSX on a few long trips, EPA average is like 30 or something.

Hondaman4ever

Ok. Thanks, Exploder. I think if the difference in fuel economy between an EX and and more basic trim is 3 miles or so a gallon it's going to be worth it to get the EX. But is the difference in power noticeable with the EXs?

Peter Boyles

I have a 1999 Honda Civic ex coup 5 speed and I get about 250-300 on a tank of gas, and I don't baby it, and I still have about 1.5 gallons left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hondaman4ever

I have a 1999 Honda Civic ex coup 5 speed and I get about 250-300 on a tank of gas, and I don't baby it, and I still have about 1.5 gallons left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks peter, but that's not an accurate way of measuring your MPG. If all you're getting is 250-300 miles per tankful then that's not good.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ok. Thanks, Exploder. I think if the difference in fuel economy between an EX and and more basic trim is 3 miles or so a gallon it's going to be worth it to get the EX. But is the difference in power noticeable with the EXs?
Ehhh. I stared out with the Y7 motor, and later did a "mini-me" swap to a y8 head, which also gave me vtec. I did notice a little bit more power mainly going up inclines. But vtec wasn't very noticeable. I actually wired a light up to my dash to tell me when vtec was engaging, because it wasn't all that noticeable otherwise. I still had the same y7 block and I'm not sure what the difference is there, so you might see a bit more of an increase than what I saw.

If you're not too worried about performance, I would look for 6th gen based on maintenance history, and the options that you want. If you are worried about performance, get an Si lol

Hondaman4ever

Ok thanks, explod3r. Wow ! I didn't know you could just use the head from an EX engine and put it on a Y7.

No I don't care much for performance but thought a little horse power is good. To me, MPG comes first.

RealtorJeff

Hello.

Thanks.
Hondaman -
Just picked up a 96 Civic EX for my son a few months ago and track the mileage very closely with the lowest being about 28 and the best about 32 mpg. On that 11 gallon tank we typically run about 320 to 360 miles per tank, if that helps. This car has only 170k on it over it's 21 year life and I have run Marvel Mystery Oil and Seafoam through it to clear out the gunk, so will keep you posted if there is drastic improvement in mpgs.

Hondaman4ever

Ok. Thanks jeff for the feedback. Do you feel Seafoam or MM oil made any difference (not necessarily with the mpg but how the engine runs.....)? I'm thinking about using Seafoam too. I always use gas additives and fuel inj. cleaners in every car I buy but never used Seafoam before.

RealtorJeff

Ok. Thanks jeff for the feedback. Do you feel Seafoam or MM oil made any difference (not necessarily with the mpg but how the engine runs.....)? I'm thinking about using Seafoam too. I always use gas additives and fuel inj. cleaners in every car I buy but never used Seafoam before.
It definitely thinned the oil out and may have cleaned out the fuel components, as more oil was leaking (probably from the old gunked up failing gaskets, seals, etc.)? The engine still runs like a top and I have heard these V Tec engines may not be prone to synthetic oils and MM oil, Seafoam as they are not geared that way. Either way, I plan on using 10W40 vs. the 5W with the mileage I have on it and using a synthetic blend, as recommended by my mechanic. P.S. just filled up and did get 34.5mpg, the highest yet for my records, but did a lot of freeway miles on this last tank, so probably about the same performance! Good Luck!

Hondaman4ever

Thanks, jeff. Good luck to you to with the car. I think if you drive straight hwy, you'll probably get even more than 34 mpg.