Exactly how bad is my CF mirrors holding up? (Clear Coat)

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
I think the correct term is that I need a new layer of clear coat for my Carbon Fiber mirrors, correct? Gel Coat? If I don’t get it taken care of by the end of summer what could happen to my mirrors? Is carbon fiber one of those things where if you don’t fix it right away, it could be non-repairable in the future?

Before anyone asks me about why they’re in such bad condition, I got these APR mirrors for only $40 =)
Driver

Passenger

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They will be destroyed by the sun and the elements...if they aren't already. That looks worse than just clear coat failure.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you can try to sand the rest of the clear off, and just clear them, worth a shot even if it doesnt work, you only paid 40 bucks, just paint them black if all else fails

mikekh10a

Registered VIP
you can try to sand the rest of the clear off, and just clear them, worth a shot even if it doesnt work, you only paid 40 bucks, just paint them black if all else fails
is there any specific clear i'm supposed to use? would any clear work?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would sand it down and see if the carbon isn't destroyed before going through the trouble of finding a clear. That way you aren't wasting money if the carbon is fubar.