Exhaust Installation Question

stuco

5+ Year Member
I have a 97 LX. I had a crack in my exhaust manifold that was very annoying so I purchased this since I didn't want to shell out the money for a factory one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180434168243&viewitem=

I've got it bolted in and the car runs but the bottom sensor doesn't reach the hole in the exhaust so I only have one in. Is it necessary to have both? Is this the reason the check engine light came on after I installed the exhaust? Are there any other adjustments necessary when installing this type of exhaust? I

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you need both o2 sensors or your cel will come on. one is for monitoring the fuel/air ratio in the exhaust, and the other is for monitoring emissions. get some wire and extend the o2 sensor so that it reaches the o2 bung on the header

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the LX model has the cat in the exhaust manifold. did you get a new cat? if not, you are going to throw a CEL for the secondary o2

stuco

5+ Year Member
the LX model has the cat in the exhaust manifold. did you get a new cat? if not, you are going to throw a CEL for the secondary o2

No, I didn't get another cat conv, is it necessary to have one?

Thanks guys for your help, it looks like I will be adding some length to the wires. I'll have to figure out a good path to run the new longer wires.

stuco

5+ Year Member
aWell, I added some length to the wires on the second exhaust sensor. I did an alternator swap at the same (could these alternators be any harder to get to?) time so after I got everything back together tonight I cranked up the car and the CEL was back off! Hopefully it will stay that way. What are the implications of not having a cat now? I can't pass emisions? I don't have to where I live but I don't want to polute more than I have to.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
well without a cat, you are polluting more than you have to. since you have an "ex" header you could opt for an "ex" cat converter, but you would have to also get an "ex" exhaust system to match so it all bolts up properly

stateofjustin

Well, all that aside... if the header doesn't whatever emissions requirements Alabama has, you are going to fail your smog on a technicality anyway. I'm not sure they have any, I know here in Cali you need a C.A.R.B. numbered part or it's illegal.

As to getting the light to go away... there are dummy sensors available, and also a trick regarding a part that moves the sensor back from the stream which usually alters the pick up enough to stop codes and by extension, CHK lights.
The dummy sensors wouldn't need extensions since they don't actually go in the exhaust. The trick, that would need those extensions.

And lastly, all of that is irresponsible on a street car which will be driven many miles and thus pollute heavily over time.
Race car, no problem... hack away. Also, if you look at a cop funny or he thinks your exhaust it too loud... he may write you up for everything and force you into an inspection center. Very expensive.