Extremely Low Idle problem

4cylmaniac

Hi guys, I have a 1991 Honda Civic Si hatchback with a D16A6 motor in it and a standard 5 speed manual transmission, and the car is idleing at maybe 150-200rpm at first start up when the engine is cold , I checked the fast idle motor and it has power to it and seems to be fine, but i havent checked the Idle Air control motor yet, car has been sitting for about 7 years and I did change the oil right away when I got it and just changed the spark plugs and its still idleing that low, has anyone else encountered this problem or know where to start looking? is there also an adjustment screw on the throttle body like the EG, EKs, etc.?

RonJ

Banned
Start by cleaning the fast idle valve and the IACV with brake cleaner. Also replace the PCV valve. Then go from there.

Honda-girl1021

I have a 2000 Honda civic automatic. Lately it has been idling so low to the point it feels like it's going to die on me if I'm sitting at a stop light. Any ideas on what's causing this?

Abyss

I would imagine it's the same (and common) problem. Take the steps RonJ has advised and come back if that doesn't fix it. As a side note, it's generally frowned upon to bump old threads like this.

Honda-girl1021

Well, I've been told it's rude to post a new thread about something unless you find an old thread to comment on about the same issue. So it's not my fault I'm being told three different things here.

By the way, I've already done all the things commented above and it's not the issue. I wouldn't ask a repeated question if I didn't have to

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, I've been told it's rude to post a new thread about something unless you find an old thread to comment on about the same issue. So it's not my fault I'm being told three different things here.
Thing is, that is the OP's thread. Unless you are having identical exact issues and symptoms than the original poster, you have your own problems.

People say search for an answer before you ask and to try the stuff in the threads, then if they don't work you start your own unless it is directly related. That is the general understanding at least how I interpret it.

Giving advise to try or chiming in with might have worked for you is one thing but to post a question that more than likely isn't directly the same issue can be confusing. Say your problem sounds similar but is totally not related and you find a fix. Someone searches and has the exact same problem as the original post but they try your idea thinking it is a fix for them. This can lead to misinformation.

You also have a completely different vehicle with a different motor. This can also lead to misdirection from people giving answers which also leads to confusion for those searching in the future.

Last edited: