Extremely rough on takeoff or in reverse ..

MugenEJ1

New here, but not my first rodeo with Hondas, im pretty knowledgeable and am having one hell of a time with my car right now.
its a 94 ex, was an automatic and was swapped to manual(previous owner did it), I start the car .. No problems, but as soon as I put in reverse or first and start to let out clutch and give it a little gas the engins shakes EXTREMELY rough, the whole car shakes like crazy and feels like im in turbulence on an airplane.

First thought was mounts, so I looked at them and immediately replaced the driver mount(was shot!!), the rest of the mounts look ok except rear mount looks like a bolt or 2 might be missing. Im going to go to store and get them and put in to see if helps.

My only problem is, that it only does it on takeoff in first(bogs out in 2nd) and reverse. Even when im at mid range rpms in 4th or 5th and downshift to 2nd or 3rd no shake or rattle and works great.

I cant figure out what this damn problem is, but im borderline unable to drive it because im usually in some sort of traffic and stop and go is a hell no in this thing!!!

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

FRBOET

thats why i dont like auto to manual conversions. it never drives the same

i think it may have something to do with the sensitivity of the clutch pedal because that is never up to stock spec and also re-check engine mounts and transmission lines.

EJ8Metal

5+ Year Member
It could be the ECU man. I don't know much about honda ecu's but with the Nissan 240sx, people did 5 speed swaps in verts seeing as they were all built auto. The Ecu in those worked fine, the only difference if it was done right would be the fact that it didn't have a top speed limiter. Now to contradict that. Some cases, the car would start running rich or start doing just down right strange s**t. What could be happening is the engine part of the ecu trying to communicate with the transmission part of it. Just a possibility. I don't know try finding a 5 speed ecu and plugging it in, see if it works.

Then again, if the person who swapped it did swap the ecu, I wasted 5 minutes writing this... Hope it helps!