faded paint, how can i make it look better?

justanotherEJ8

5+ Year Member
my paint is milano red and it is visibly faded, the front and back bumper are looking good though, which makes it even more noticeable. and faded red looks kinda like pink/crap. would waxing help or anything else i can do?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id like to see pics before i gave advice

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
do you own a buffer?
that paint should definately be saveable if its a bccc paintjob.
you are going to have to wetsand and buff it...
a body shop could do this for you if you dont feel comfortable or a detail shop...
but its saveable for around $150.

NFR_AP2

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
where in jersey are you? im in south jersey....MR <3

justanotherEJ8

5+ Year Member
in manchester (ocean county). idk if id feel comfortable wetsanding it myself, how much of a difference would it really make and did you mean 150 if i do it myself or if i have it done at a shop?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if you have it done at a shop..
if u have a buffer all you will have to buy is the wax and pads...
it is a tedious job and takes a bit of skill if you have never done it b4, but you shouldnt f**k it up too bad if you take your time and use lots of water and the right grit sandpaper...
i think there is a diy on here for wetsanding...
if theres not, there should be..
feel free to pm me with questions

justanotherEJ8

5+ Year Member
thanks for the info...my only question is...is it gonna be a 150 dollar difference? money is really tight at the moment, and i wouldnt wanna spend that much for the paint to look a tiny bit better. and would it just clean it up or would it actually make the red look stronger and less faded?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your paint would look brand new. actually better than new if done right..
is it factory paint?

CivicMafia

5+ Year Member
let a shop do it, it took me 2 days just to redo my CF hood, Clear coat is no joke thats some tough s**t.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I guarantee you that it doesnt have a clear coat. If its faded to a pinkish hue (seinfeld, sorry) than it has no clear. Reds are the worst to try and bring back. Once the color has faded, you might as well go to a body shop and get a base/clear paint job. If you do decide to wetsand and buff it, the residue will be all over the place and it will look shiny for a few weeks, then slowly fade back to pink if you dont wax it every 2 weeks. The weather stripping will collect the pink residue and hold it. It would be better to hit up a body shop and get new paint IMO. And trust me, Ive buffed out ALOT of red cars in my lifetime and dread anyone who has to do it.

Also, the paint in the pic looks wet, which looks good if it were wet all the time. Another thing u can try is aircraft paint stripper. Spray that on, wait a minute or 2, get a plastic putty knife and scrape off the old neglected paint. That way u have a fresh surface to work with. Good luck on whatever route you take.

Ask mymmeryloss how my paint looks. Ive been detailing a long long time.