Feed back needed

Woperelli

Hey first off I'm aware that I've probably created a new thread for nothing but I need some feedback and advice to make all pieces fit. Anyways I've gotten to the point where the stock set up has made me bored and now it's time to do some mods. I have an 09 Si that I commute about 94 miles a day with from Providence to the South Shore of Mass mostly highway and I'm looking to improve MPG and get some added power for the fun factor or when I'm late for work, but here's the thing I have a lifetime power train through the dealer so I'm thinking intake exhaust and suspension.

Intake I'm thinking of going SRI but am kind of torn between K&N, AEM, or Injen heard a lot of good things about all 3. As for exhaust for now I'm gonna change to a muffler with a better flow from a custom exhaust shop in RI. My question about those 2 is am I gonna need a tune? I had flow masters and an intake on my mustang and that saw minimal MPG gain w/o a tune but when I did those mods to my GTI I lost about 20-30 miles per tank because it needed a tune. Some clarity on this thought would be nice.

Finally suspension doing lowering springs for now then change things as they go but my question is among all the different springs what would be good to use on stock struts that won't drastically cut down their life span of wear my tires out prematurely? I'm mostly looking for slightly better handling and wheel well space cut down but not to go too low since I live in pothole land in a state that doesn't fix roads. Eibach pro was my best thought but if anyone says otherwise please let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for any feedback you may leave.

Dominick

EM1crew.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Coming from a previous 09 FA5 owner, it's not too bad. For increased MPG, yes, a new intake would do you good. But before you dump massive cash on a piece of bent aluminum tubing, check your OEM filter and spark plugs. Replacing those will/can yield a nice increase in MPG, as well as car feel. Exhaust-wise, most people get the HFP axle back for a better sound/better performance upgrade to that of the stock one. Unless your car is boosted, or running some aggressive cams, you should not need a tune, even when paired with an aftermarket intake.

Suspension is a little tricky. Being as I have only always used full coilovers, I cannot speak for springs. However, I have seen/read that, again, some owners prefer the HFP suspension (new dampers & springs) to that of OEM. Makes the ride more responsive and slightly lower. Sadly, no matter what you do to your suspension, it is always recommended to get an alignment afterwards. You could get away without one if you lowered your car under an inch or so, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Tein S-Tech, Eibach Pro/Sportline springs are some of the best you can get, so go with those if you decide on that route.

Overall, if you have about $600 to spend, I would highly suggest simply getting a Hondata Flashpro. A simple ECU reflash can add some pep into the engine and make the car a whole new animal. You can control VTEC engagement, rev limiter, and a bunch more. I'm sure you can even change/alter your RPM band to make it suitable for better MPG across the highway.

Hope this info somewhat helps. I would also point in the direction of 8thcivic.com. I got a lot of knowledge from there and the site offers loads of good info regarding anything 8th generation.

PS: NEW ENGLAND FOR THE WIN!!!

ldiaz04

I totally concur with ^^^^^

First "mod" id do would be Flashpro. go check it out like he said on 8thcivic.com and you will see why everyone says "I should of got flashpro sooner". Even the basemap with no supporting mods will make the car feel "alive".

If you want to get the most out of your intake and exhaust I'd recommend flashpro with a tune. Good luck!