Finally Fixed The Civic

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
I bought the Civic knowing it had a blown head gasket, and I finally took the engine and transmission out 6 months ago. I replaced the head gasket and head studs with Honda parts. I had the cylinder head resurfaced, leak tested, and one valve stem replaced. I sent my injectors to Oside tiger to be flow tested, cleaned, and all seals/filters replaced (they also painted it black for me). I replaced all the coolant hoses, oil seals (engine and trans), resealed the transmission housing, replaced main input shaft bearing, resealed oil pump, and resealed the rear main seal plate. Installed a new Exedy clutch, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, slave cylinder, and some aftermarket OEM type flywheel. After sitting for six months even with a battery tender, I had to replace my battery but lucky it was under warranty. I then noticed my clutch master cylinder was leaking so got one from o'reilly auto parts and braided clutch line, which the line cost $32. I also replaced the radiator, condenser, and both AC lines because they were leaking.

There is no more check engine light, it doesn't leak oil, and doesn't over heat anymore as well. Only problem now is when my AC is working the discharge line is pulsing. My buddy told me it was normal but I don't think it is, I think my compressor is failing.

Attachments

Last edited:

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Describe what you did after you installed the new condenser and lines. The devil is in the details.
After replacing the condenser and both lines, I added 20mL of PAG 46 oil for the condenser. I forgot to add oil for the lines, not sure if it is 10mL of PAG oil per line or just a total of 10mL for both lines. Went to a buddy shop, had it evacuated for 20 min and then recharged at 1.50 lbs of R134a. It has been blowing cold for the last three days but the discharge line pulsating doesn't sit right with me. I am sure the compressor is starting to fail and luckily it is under warranty still. I think I might replace the expansion valve as well if I replace the compressor again just to be safe.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
I had replaced the dryer 6 months ago but didn't replace it this time. Also, I don't remember the readings on the gauges but I remember the high side needle fluttering real fast (like the compressor is damage). That's when I placed my hand on the discharge line and felt it pulsating. I couldn't find my thermometer, so I can't give you a discharge reading. I am going to take the civic to him again next week, so I'll note both pressure reading, ambient temp, and discharge temp. Also, I will record the gauge fluttering real fast.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
I did have the AC system open for 6 months so I am sure the new dryer's desiccant bag is trash........totally skipped my mind when I was fixing everything else.