First Car: 1992 Honda Civic LX (D15B7)

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Spray painting the Civic is a good idea when done right... The OP one is kinda rough but if your thinking of paint down the road it is all just about time/Cash... When I spray painted my Nissan Sentra, we did it when it was cool out, about 50-60 and did it slowly... Cover each swipe so it stays wet as you go... The biggest issue is people just shake all over to cover it... Well it turns out like a**... Mine came out smooth with little if any lines at all.. I let a friend do the hood and front drivers side and it came out like a** so be careful and it can be good!

OP car is coming a long, just needs some of that tlc to get her going!

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks. I really don`t want to get rid of it so quickly. I have good plans, it`s just money is really tight. I love my car, and I hope to make her run very well before winter hits. probably gonna see about swapping the tires with some Rex wheels tomorro, if we can get these stupid locking nuts off with vice grips. Also, I`m not gonna do the paint. I`m doinng th e prep work but I`m gonna have MAACO or some other company spray it down. I don`t have the equipment to spray bomb it. I also need them to get the dent out of my left fender.

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As for the locks, take a 3/4 socket and pound it on with a hammer and then pop them off.. Ive done it a few times when working on cars.... Only one did we have to bust out the air hammer ripped the lug off lol it was shredded but put a new one on good to go =)

Equipment? Dude Wal-Mart 99cents a can for paint buy about 30 cans, and take your time do it slowly and like I said when it is cool out.. Do it in a garage if you can... Only thing you need is a mask...

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As for the locks, take a 3/4 socket and pound it on with a hammer and then pop them off.. Ive done it a few times when working on cars.... Only one did we have to bust out the air hammer ripped the lug off lol it was shredded but put a new one on good to go =)

Equipment? Dude Wal-Mart 99cents a can for paint buy about 30 cans, and take your time do it slowly and like I said when it is cool out.. Do it in a garage if you can... Only thing you need is a mask...

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I may do that because of my budget. That way, I can save up for another civic and other s**t until tax returns come. Thanks for the advice. I don`t have a garage, it sits in my stone driveway. I need masking tape and what`s that paper junk that goes over everything?

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well I can say this much, take things like Tails and headlights out... Make sure to cover your wheels (regardless of condition)... Get like 3 rolls of blue tape... You will need to mask windows off, molding, mirror, just anything you don't want black... Sand the entire car down, (front fender see if you can just slap a new one on)... You could even be ghetto since this is not a "PERFECT" job... And use some scotch brights (green dish washing pads)... And its really not that ghetto because it will get it smooth and it is was Maaco uses and body shops use for a final sand... Because it will outlast paper, flexable and it gets it smooth.... Once that is done get some paint prep or even some rubbing alcohol and whip the entire car down to get the dust off of it. This will help in the long run! Then you can go to the parts store and get a Tac Cloth it picks up any final dust and is tacky... dont push hard just whip it all down.. Then when you paint it I always start with a dust coat so walk from front of the car to back and just dust it so not enough to cover the car just enough to get a light coat....do that twice so it starts to be filling it in... third run do sections so do like the wheel well first then start that the top of the rear quarter panel for example and go from one side to the other in a sweeping motion and then cover your previous line half way and just go all the way down... It is a pain but man when it is done it is worth it... do it when it is cool so it doesnt dry super fast and get overspray all over, if it is still wet the overspray just drys in with the paint... hard to explain... And this is "GHETTO PAINT 101 lol" so I am just trying to describe the basics... here is my old Nissan.. Yes ricey but that was like 6-7 yrs ago and I loved it at that point lol... **And the paper you can get at a paint store or just use news paper**

The front door/fender and hood a friend did and I was pis**Ed about it because I told him what to do and it came out like cra*
Before

After

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Look at dem ricey tails. Haha, great write up. You just inspired me to do this, the only problem is it seemed like it'd take a few days, and I don't have a garage, and the weather is pretty unpredictable here in PA. It's either raining or f**king freezing.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow, there's such a difference between a good and bad rattlecan job. Get to it, that leopard-print thing that's happening has gotta go. Find a friend who'll let you use their garage, paint will be ok in 24 hours, long as it's not too cold.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Haha. Yeah, it's really starting to bother me. I'm gonna try getting my friend's garage next weekend.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gonna have some updates this weekend. Buying some Red heat resistant paint this weekend and when I have my valve cover off to change some seals, gonna get it repainted so I don't look like a fag. And also the gold paint is chipping to f**k. Also gonna see about fixing my heat. (Water valve is bypassed). And hopefully replace the seals causing oil to be burnt quickly.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hella just stalked your thread. Looking good, I've got an auto Lx too, saving my cash mostly for a Gsr swap for now though so I haven't bought gotten too do much non engine work so its cool to see someone else's ideas.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah. I don't wanna lose this car so easily. I really wanna fix it. I like working on it, and my dad doesn't seem to realize that. He thinks fixing it is a waste of money and that I should just start saving up for another car.

Rimdale

nice start

Great start, keep it clean man!

My suggestions:

Get those JDM Corners cleaned,
Get some paint any colour (Black, Red, Green, JDM Blue)
Paint those steeles black

Overall great look!

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, the one corner is broke. So I'm getting a 1pc jdm headlight + corner set for my birthday. My left corner light is held by a cable tie and clear duct tape to cover the corner hole. As for paint, I'm gonna be painting it Charcoal probably in the next month. Also, the steelies are going. They're all different sizes and it's ruining everything lol. Gonna probably see about taking my brother's CRX wheels, however, I can't for the life of me get these gay locking nuts off the passenger side wheel. They're stripped to hell, and vice grips didn't work.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good news and bad news. My car is out of commission for a week or two. When I took my caliper off, I found out that my piston boot was shot and that's why my brake fluid was leaking. But, there is also good news.

I finally suckered up to just buying the $32.99 acorn tuner spline lock lug nut set with the key so I could get my lugs off and sure enough, it worked. I also got to try out my nifty $25 torque wrench. This is probably the best investment I've made in this car so far. Torque wrench will help me keep my nuts and bolts tighten right, and will take the guess work out of tightening things. It's a 1/2" drive wrench, so finding large sockets to fit small bolts might be hard, but that's what they made adapters for. I was going to get the 3/8", but they wanted $30 from Harbor Freight.

Next things for this car:
1) Order 2 caliper piston boot kits
2) Replace some seals or new wheels + tires
3) Paint (Charcoal baby)
4) Stock or close to stock suspension
5) Anything I choose to add to the car!

Now given there will be other miscellaneous things I will have to fix, but I'm determined.

Honda Love FTW

95coupeWI

Registered VIP
well that sucks, but yeah i had to buy the same set of lugs to get the key for my rims. I like the plans though, and did you redo your valve cover?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well sorry to hear about the issues, but at least ur keepin ur chin up and working through it :thumbs up Can't wait to see it after the paint job though :D

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, I decided that for right now, the valve cover can wait. I'll probably tuck that in between paint and suspension. For now I just wanna get it rolling again. I'm not sure if my dad is 100% if were swapping the Rex wheels yet, but I want to so my gas mileage doesn't suck.

MitsahJuice; Thanks. I really am looking forward to making this run and look nice.