Fix before selling? '97 Civic LX 5-spd manual

dchobo

Hi all,

Hope this is the right place to post my question.

Well, it's come to the time to sell my 1997 Civic LX 5-speed manual... my first car, original owner. It still runs well, but with only basic maintenance (mainly oil change) done on it, it needs some maintenance work. Also peeling clear coat and drooping headliner.

I'm wondering if it's worth fixing all the issues first before selling, or I should sell it at a discount to someone who is looking to mod the car anyways.

I can do some of the maintenance work myself, but it would take time - which I don't really have now.

From the forum, it looks like folks looking to buy a 20-year old car is to probably looking to mod or make it project car.

So should I fix everything first before selling? Or selling as is?
What's the going rate for a "fair" condition 1997 civic?

thanks in advance
dchobo

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Judging of the provided information of worn paint alone, you should sell it as is since a decent paint job would cost more than what you'd get by selling it. LXs are very common sedans and have a limited draw as there typically aren't many people looking for a 5-speed sedan. Don't expect much either if you've neglected common maintenance as well. Give itva thorough cleaning, price it fairly and hope for the best.

dchobo

OK thanks all for your feedback. Will sell it as is.

This old 5-speed is still very fun to drive. No fancy bells and whistles. AC still runs strong (original, never flushed!) . Sad to see it go.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wherever you list it for sale, make it a point to let everyone know that you're the original owner. Might help a bit :thumbs up