Fixed rough idle and cold start issue!

Vx2ko

My 95 Civic EX has been having trouble on a cold start. When I would first start it in the morning, it idle really rough. and if I threw it in drive, it would die. unless I let it warm up, it would run right. So I checked the timing and it turns out, the previous owner timed it wrong. They timed it using the TDC mark on the cam pulley. So I advanced the dizzy all the way an now it runs like a champ and no cold start rough idle issue. I am going to take off the timing belt and put it on the right way soon. But just for those of you having idle problems on a cold start, check your timing first.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I am going to take off the timing belt and put it on the right way soon.
That's what I was hoping to read lol.

Good to see you got it figured out!

DavidR

5+ Year Member
I'm having rough idle issues that seem to have come about after changing my drive belts, which is probably a coincedence. Don't have a check engine light for anything but a P0420 that I've been driving around with since I bought the car 3-4 months ago. I've already bled the cooling system but no change. I then went to testing the ECT sensor below the distributor with a multimeter and according to the haynes manual the resistance doesn't match up with the chart in the book. At 190 degrees it was showing resistance of ,2 when the book shows that around that temp it should read somewhere between .5 and .4. I don't have a CEL for the temp sensor so I don't know if it is really bad plus I don't trust this haynes manual when it comes to specs of sensors as I have been steered the wrong way when I replaced my temp gauge switch to find out it was working properly.