Fixing Turn Signal Sockets & Pigtails

Chance EG

Long story short I'm gradually making my way through my car and correcting all the mistakes the colossal idiot of an owner before me had "wired".

It looks like when he was trying to install some generic fog lights (they weren't even for a Civic), he tried tapping into the corner lights for power.

I can find the part # for the socket, but is there any way to get the pigtails included, or a way I can pull those wires out of those sockets? Basically I just need to fix that wiring, it's screwing with my turn signals (one runs very fast).

If they don't sell the sockets with the pigtails I'd imagine there'd have to be a way to pull the wires out, but I can't figure out how.

Edit: Forgot pictures. bonus shot of all the other wiring I pulled from his electrical spaghetti.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If they don't sell the sockets with the pigtails I'd imagine there'd have to be a way to pull the wires out, but I can't figure out how.
Why would you pull the wires? You're overthinking it and making more work for yourself.
Start fresh and grab another set of bulb harnesses.
Go to a junk yard, cut enough length of wire with the bulb harness from another Civic, 92-00.
Resplice onto your current car, solder and heatshrink, tape if needed. It will be as good as new.

Chance EG

Why would you pull the wires? You're overthinking it and making more work for yourself.
Start fresh and grab another set of bulb harnesses.
Go to a junk yard, cut enough length of wire with the bulb harness from another Civic, 92-00.
Resplice onto your current car, solder and heatshrink, tape if needed. It will be as good as new.
That's an option, but the nearest junkyard is over an hour away (one way), so I was fist going to see if I had any option to buy the complete socket w/ pigtails online.

If that's going to be a PITA then I can just do what you said.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was going to see if I had any option to buy the complete socket w/ pigtails online.
They don't sell them that way.
You're only option is used, either junkyard or find someone parting a car out that is willing to cut a length of wire along with the harness for you.

Chance EG

They don't sell them that way.
You're only option is used, either junkyard or find someone parting a car out that is willing to cut a length of wire along with the harness for you.
Sounds good. Another trip to the junk yard it is. Thanks Baker.

After this, I get to figure out what this monkey did to all the wiring in my radio and dash...

Chance EG

If the previous owner hacked up the original stock radio harness, you'll need this to make it "stock" again.
http://www.metraonline.com/part/71-1720
Haha, thanks man! Very helpful.

Yeah, I'm honestly afraid to see what I find behind the radio based on the quality of work I've seen elsewhere that I know he got into.... What's funny is I'm having issues actually pulling the radio out right now, it's not bolted in the OEM location and I can't figure out what's anchoring it in.

If you look in my OP in the photo of all the loose wires, you see a small aluminum bracket. The moron used a self tapping screw and just had that anchored into the radio and had drilled into a dash support to keep the bezel in place. After I removed that, the entire bezel went loose but something still is holding the radio.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now and wasting time at work. Thanks for the help Baker =)

Chance EG

The fast blinking of the turn signal may just be a bad bulb or wrong bulb type.
Thanks, but definitely not a bulb. I've checked all of them and just recently replaced everything in the tail lights. I think I may have even replaced all of the headlight/turn signal bulbs as well a few months ago when I put in my new headlights.

I've got some bad grounds both on the sockets themselves and behind my dash. My parking lights and dimmer switch/cluster illumination isn't working now either, this guy just did a REALLY hack job at installing some fog lights, which once again weren't even made for this car...

I'm basically having the same issue as this guy. Will start hunting wires and checking fuses this weekend: http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/parking-lights-and-taillights-dont-work.198199/

Chance EG

To avoid cutting and splicing, check out junk yards for stock wire harnesses that you want to replace. Also download the Honda factory service maunal so you know what harnesses to obtain and where all the ground connections are located.
Service manual is a good idea =)

Already have plans to hit up some junk yards this Sunday haha. Either way I'll have to cut and solder/heat shrink those turn signal wires, but that's not a big deal at all. Just can't believe how poor the work on this car was from this guy, thank god the fog lights were one of the very few mods he did.

Chance EG

Why is it necessary to cut/splice the turn signal wires? I must have missed something.
You can't purchase the socket with the pig tails already in, and I don't know how (and so far no one seems to know) to get those wires out of the existing socket.

You can see in the picture how badly butchered they are, basically I'm just going to cut them all back and do a proper job of soldering in a "new" socket for each side.

Chance EG

You can't take the sockets with the junkyard wire harnesses?
Oh, yeah that's my plan, I'm just currently planning on splicing them into my existing wires rather than running than pulling/running the entire harness again.

Edit: Also damn dude, downloaded the Helms manual and can't believe I've never thought to look at this before. Should be really helpful.

Last edited: