Flywheel resurfacing?!? Better to buy new or resurface OEM??? Opinions needed!

Civic11

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I am new to clutches and I have learned a great deal due to thi forum so thanks guys. I plan on replacing my clutch as preventative maintenance while it is still Summer (I had a clutch go out in the Winter and I paid someone to replace it and got raped on labor). I found a great clutch kit for my 1990 Honda Civic Hatch, but I also found a clutch kit with the flywheel? Should I just fork out the extra money and by the one with the Exedy OEM replacement flywheel. I will most likely go with Exedy. Is there any other parts I should replace. I just don't want to put the clutch in only to have problems down the line. I figure if its out I might as well replace/fix it (water pump / timing belt school of thought).

What do you guys think? The kit with the flywheel is about 60-80 dollars more than the kit without the flywheel. Is that worth it? Would resurfacing be alot cheaper? I don't have the tools for resurfacing so I figure I would have to take the flywheel off and take it to a shop. I hope this would be cheaper, but replacing it seems like the best thing to do.

Hmm.....:what:

Also, what type of clutch should I get? I hear stages 1-3. Are they worth the extra money? I'm sure it is based on what you want to do with the car.

This isn't going to be a racer and it is a daily driver (60-100 miles on average per day of daily driving). Gas Mileage is of highest importance so I will want something with this in mind

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
keep your OEM flywheel, and for 20 bucks get it resurfaced at your local machine shop. check your phone book if your new to the area or don't know any shops.