fog light relay?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hello im pretty sure my relay went bad because my fog lights do not work. i have searched online on ebay and google but cannot find a replacement relay and i have also check auto zone and kragens does anyone want to try to help me find this relay.also is there i can wire it up without the relay? my foglights are just some cheap ebay ones on a 96 civic

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
any other numbers..

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i had to change the wire harness for myrelay on mine to the regular fog light relay. you can get the harness and relay at any auto parts store, i think i got mine from autozone. and just wired it up according to the diagrams i found on google and youtube. works great.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
why not just get a new relay assembly/module and wire it in?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well could you maybe post a link to the wiring diagram? do i need the relay, isnt it just so it turns on with the key what if i bypassed it and just used the switch thing. nope there are no other numbers on it i cant even find a relay that looks like it.

xWIREMANx

Yes you need the relay. It allows you to use a smaller current source to control a larger current source. You can use something low as like 1 amp to control a relay like yours that is 40 amps. Like the others said you can get one at an autoparts store and just wire it in. Just pick up a four prong relay. Pins 85 and 86 are what turns the relay on so positive on one and negative on the other and it doesn't matter which as it just energizes the coil. A four prong should have an 87 and 30 pin. This will be your in and out which is main power and output to fog lights. These can go either way as well since they just connect when you energize the relay. You should double check your power to the relay you have though as those really don't go bad that often.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^what he said.

trust me, you want a relay. i used to run fogs without one, just a switch running from the battery, and i left my fogs on all the time and killed the battery alot. its a pain in the ass. a relay is so much more convenient

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so a 4 prong should have a 85 86 87 and 30 pin? ya i think i somehow fryed the relay when i was trying to fix my heat gauge on my cluster and now i dont have any working gauges

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
please explain more. i checked all my fuses and cant find one thats burned.

woot woot thank you sir you inspired me to re check my fuses again and i found the burned fuse that i didnt see before

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what you need is a 12volt 30 amp relay. you can find it anywhere. esp autozone and advanced auto for 6 bucks. they usually go bad fast.

use a voltmeter and find out which lead is which.( or some have a drawing on the front) usually its ground, power, and two for the coil.

use really good spade connectors and when you stick them in use dielectric grease and wrap the whole shebang with black electrical tape. that should last.