Found noise problem, cant identify part needed

Tino58

I finally got around to taking my 1993 Civic EX to a 3rd mechanic to diagnose that disturbing noise coming from the engine. He did not know what to call the part, so I don't know what to buy. From what I can see it is the part that covers the tailpipe connection to the engine. Any one know what that part is called? Thanks!

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
exhaust manifold heat shield?

Tino58

Hmm, good point. I guess I should try to remove it first. See if it does fix the problem. And if so, then I can bring the part with me to part store. Thing is I am NOT a mechanic, so nothing is ever easy when it comes to working on an engine.

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
Hmm, good point. I guess I should try to remove it first. See if it does fix the problem. And if so, then I can bring the part with me to part store. Thing is I am NOT a mechanic, so nothing is ever easy when it comes to working on an engine.
on my civic it's just attached by two bolts to the exhaust manifold. as long as you dont' have overheating issue i couldn't see it becoming and issue. i'd watch your fan shroud and stuff like that to see if it's affected by the heat.

people with an aftermarket header dont run a shield, so i doubt anything would happen.

I'd upload a picture of it first though, so that you aren't removing something you think is the heat shield first though lol

Tino58

I took it off and it still makes the noise. It sounds like a bad power steering pump on a chevy. But that is not the problem. I got my employee, Bibiano working on it. He needs to get back to work though. I have exhausted my patience on this today. Will take the belt off and test the pulleys another day. Thanks for your help.

Can't figure out how to post picture.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It is impossible to diagnose a noise by reading words on a forum.

I would suggest you take it to a mechanic that can actually help. I have never met one that doesn't know what parts are called. How do they order new ones for the cars they are working on? He either doesn't know what he is doing or was feeding you a line of BS to get you out of there because you were "wasting his time" in his eyes.

Its either that or get us proper detailed information to help with the situation. At this point we don't really have anything to go off of.