Front Lower Control Arm Bushings Cracked

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyclef

5+ Year Member
Hi, the front lower control arm bushings on my 04 Civic LX are cracked. It doesn't really impact driving at all at the moment but they had recommended a replacement cost of $675 last year and I've got an inspection coming up. Does this price sound right? Is this something that could be an amateur DIY project? Could use some advice on getting this fixed cheaper.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd shop around. Prices will vary on bushings because they can be a PITA, and require a hydraulic press to be inserted.

$675 seems pretty steep. I'd say no more than $200 a side for labor, plus the cost of the bushings (cheap). If you want them to last, spend a few more $ and get Energy Suspension bushings... great quality there.

It may even be easier to simply replace the control arms, if you can find a good set. Then your biggest issue would be ball joints, not bushings.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Definitely not a good DIY project as said above by XpL0d3r, they need pressed out. Unless you have a press capable of doing the job. If it were me and I didn't have access to a press like I do here at work, I would pull the control arms and have a shop press them out and press the new ones in. Save money on the labor of pulling them out. That can be a b***h in its self though and is probably why you were quoted so high.

If you can't or don't want to pull them yourself, call around to as many shops as you can and go with the best estimate from the most reputable shop.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you can rent a press at advanced outo for free. or you could remove the arms yourself and pay a shop to press them in but some shops won't do it from fear of cracking the control arms. like said above you can buy new arms with the bushings already attached i would recommend these http://www.dezod.com/cat_control_arms.cfm

wyclef

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the info. I was originally told the front lower control arm bushings cracked.... wondering if this is something I can see in my driveway? Curious if it's both sides or just one. Would you recommend replacing both sides anyways? I think i found a shop who might be able to do replace just the bushings for around $400 but he'd have to take a look. Just wanted to check myself to see what's up first. If I could get this done for 4 that would be way better for me right now.

wyclef

5+ Year Member
Hey, so I gotta get my car inspected so there may be other stuff to deal with which sucks but would you guys think saving a little bit to just get the bushings replaced is worth it when I could just get 2 new arms for $406 + tax? I found a joint that could do the bushings for like $350 + tax. Seems pointless... now... question is whether that $50 is gonna mean something when they want to do another $400 work to pass inspection. I need a garage, free time, and more loot.

Frenchyaz

I changed the lower control arms on my Civic 2001 LX myself, costed me less than $100 for both. It's an easy to moderate job (I'm not a mechanic). Took me 3 hours total. New controller arms come with bushings installed so you just have to swap them.

Status
Not open for further replies.