Fuel gauge problem: Sending unit or tank float?

JUNY

"where you at?"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so i made a thread a while back about my fuel gauge not working and some of you guys said it was my fuel sending unit

but my mechanic told me that theirs a part called a "float" or some s**t that i needa get too fix the problem

is their even a part like that????

RonJ

Banned
Yes, there is a float in the tank that tells the sending unit what the gas level is. Have you done any troubleshooting? If you are handy, you can figure out the problem yourself.

JUNY

"where you at?"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
that what he told me and my dad but my dads lazy ass doesnt wanna

but is the "float"
just a dealer part?

supercivic00

5+ Year Member
Ok I'm havin the same problem but mine goes up and down but it sits on full most of the time n it will come down every other blue moon where should I start at

RonJ

Banned
Ok I'm havin the same problem but mine goes up and down but it sits on full most of the time n it will come down every other blue moon where should I start at
There's probably a short in the wire running between the sending unit and cluster gauge.

supercivic00

5+ Year Member
yea it worked when i 1st got the car now it just stoped n it does that ill start there n see what happens

93Civic-Ex

**Rockin' The EJ**
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah Ron was right on the mark when it came to my gauges. I had a wire that wasn't making a good power connection and it was cousing it to stick. Bought new gauge cluster and it fixed it. It happened to be a wire brok loose in the old cluster.

KellerWebDesign

5+ Year Member
i hate to bring up a somewhat old thread but im having a similar problem when I got the car "in pieces" my gauge was on 1/4 tank I never really paid attention to it until 9 months later when I got the car built. my gauge is on full all the time. I pulled everything apart in the car including the gauge cluster and see nothing wrong at all.

If I take the sending unit in hand and and manually move it it does not change the gauge at all, But even if I put the sending unit in the empty position and set it there for a few min "10" or so and watch the gauge it slowley rises all the way back to full. So I took a wire and grounded the fuel sending unit to see if maybe it was a bad ground and nothing changes.

If I unplug the sending unit it does nothing at all, So i took the sending unit apart and there are no broken wires or anything like that and it all looks to be good. Is there a way to test the sending unit for one "bench test somehow" and also what color is the wire/wires on the back of the gauge cluster for the fuel gauge? this way I can try to bypass everything and run 2 short wires from the sending unit straight to the gauge and see if it makes a difference?

thanks for the help

Deezy

silent partner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Don't worry about bringing up an old thread, you did the right thing by searching!! .....Anyway, check out post #4 in this thread(Above)... And here is the info on gauge testing..Just note that these gauges move slowly by design.....:mrgreen:

KellerWebDesign

5+ Year Member
Don't worry about bringing up an old thread, you did the right thing by searching!! .....Anyway, check out post #4 in this thread(Above)... And here is the info on gauge testing..Just note that these gauges move slowly by design.....:mrgreen:
thanks bro im waiting on a meter now a friend is bringing one by in a few=)