Fuel gauge problems

Jgm808

So my problem is that I filled up my tank yesterday and drove about 170 miles and noticed my the gas gauge needle is still showing its a full tank but I know for sure that it's not right it hasn't even came down a little. Anybody had this problem if do could it be the fuel pump going bad?

RonJ

Banned
Unplug the fuel sending unit and turn the key to ON(II). Does the gauge needle now drop?

Jgm808

I haven't done that yet but if I did unplug it and it didn't drop what else could it be? I'm just trying to get as much info as I can before dealing with the back seat to get to the pump and running into a dead end

68EK

Do you want help? Do the test and post the results.
Don't want to hijack but I have the same issue I have a 96 EK and I would like to try this test. RonJ can you tell me where to unplug it? I think it's under my rear seat is this where I should start?
Thanks for your input and help.

RonJ

Banned
Don't want to hijack but I have the same issue I have a 96 EK and I would like to try this test. RonJ can you tell me where to unplug it? I think it's under my rear seat is this where I should start?
Thanks for your input and help.
Correct. Remove the rear seat and the cover to the fuel sending unit and fuel pump. The sending unit has the 3P connector. The fuel pump has the 2P connector.

68EK

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you I pulled a double shift but now I'm in the garage. so I undid the cover and removed the 3P plug then turned the key to the second position abs the fuel gauge is still stuck on full.

Back seat come out with no issues

Last edited by a moderator:

RonJ

Banned
There's a short in the wire that runs between the gauge cluster and sending unit or in the gauge cluster itself. Do you have a multimeter?

68EK

Yes I do have one. I suspect it's the cluster itself just because it is an aftermarket euro cluster I don't trust them I think their garbage but that's how I bought the car. I have a extra one I was going to swap and check it then?

RonJ

Banned
Yes I do have one. I suspect it's the cluster itself just because it is an aftermarket euro cluster I don't trust them I think their garbage but that's how I bought the car. I have a extra one I was going to swap and check it then?
Yes, try the swap to see if the problem is eliminated.

ED9man

Yes, try the swap to see if the problem is eliminated.
I purchased a used cluster for my 96 Civic and it appears to have a faulty fuel gauge since it is now stuck on full immediately after I installed it. The fuel gauge operated correctly before. Are they any tests or repairs for the fuel gauge itself or is my only option to replace it with another used gauge? The Factory Service Manual didn't seem to have anything. Thanks.

RonJ

Banned
I purchased a used cluster for my 96 Civic and it appears to have a faulty fuel gauge since it is now stuck on full immediately after I installed it. The fuel gauge operated correctly before. Are they any tests or repairs for the fuel gauge itself or is my only option to replace it with another used gauge? The Factory Service Manual didn't seem to have anything. Thanks.
If you unplug only cluster connector B and then turn the key to ON(II), does the fuel gauge needle drop to E?

Attachments

ED9man

If you unplug only cluster connector B and then turn the key to ON(II), does the fuel gauge needle drop to E?

Thanks for the reply. I will hopefully have time to try that later today. As a practical issue for the time being, is the function of the low fuel indicator light separate from the fuel gauge?

ED9man

Unplugged only center connector B, turned ignition to ON (II), waited about a minute and no change, still stuck on full.

RonJ

Banned
Unplugged only center connector B, turned ignition to ON (II), waited about a minute and no change, still stuck on full.
The fuel gauge or the printed circuit sheet on the rear of the cluster has a short. If possible, swap each component one at a time into the old good cluster to determine which is causing the problem.

ED9man

The fuel gauge or the printed circuit sheet on the rear of the cluster has a short. If possible, swap each component one at a time into the old good cluster to determine which is causing the problem.
The old cluster is the style without the tach and the new one has a tach so it can't be swapped. I will probably just try another used cluster unless you think there is anything else I can try with this one. Thanks.