fuel pump issue, relay location

rodman

I have a 91 Civic Hatchback with the 1.5 L engine. My fuel pump wasn't priming when I turned the key. The Haynes book told me to check that its getting voltage, so I lifted the backseat to get to the wires, and there was voltage there, so I replaced the fuel pump. I still have the same problem, so I want to check the fuel pump relay....but I can't find it...Haynes says it's near the fuses, but I don't see it. Does anyone know where it is, or have other insight to my problem? My girlfriend is the original owner and it only has 80k miles....so we really don't want to get rid of it.

rodman

I think I found it, I will let you know if it is the problem

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mr Baker, you are a genius. Now, if this doesn't solve my problem, well, I might ask you for further advice. Thank you.
Not a genius, just have been on that site forever, been around those 4th gens for a bit, and know how to use Google.
It's a common problem with those 88-91's

rodman

Ok, problem solved, thank you, it was the relay, but now I have another problem: somehow, when I changed the relay or pump, I must have hit some wires or something, because now my brake lights are staying on?????

rodman

ok, i have the brake light problem solved, I usually don't believe in coincidences, not sure about this time: I had to adjust the little push in/out button that activates from the brake lever. I want to think something I did under the dash caused it, but I don't see how because it was tight. Maybe a coincidence? I don't know. Anyhow, coincidence or not, I'm guessing the switch is probably on its way out, and probably another right after it, must be what cars this old do =)