future boosted 99ex sedan with A/C

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No I just installed the arp's, figured im pulling the head so might as well upgrade

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so i have a wedding to attend to in washington on september 20 and i was thinking if my car is done i might try to get tuned at speedfactory in/near tacoma washington

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so i have a wedding to attend to in washington on september 20 and i was thinking if my car is done i might try to get tuned at speedfactory in/near tacoma washington
:thumbup:

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
My grandparents are visiting from WA right now, my gramps does a lot of re-rates for diesels (diesel tech) and is cleaning up out there. I would love to take over his powder coating gig he does on the side, all the stuff is just sitting there collecting dust.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so i just realized what i did wrong, my 3/8 craftsman torque wrench is in inch pounds and i always thought it was foot pounds, this is the wrench i used to torque my head down so the conversion charts i looked up said i only torqued the head 5.5 ft/lbs. i knew it didn't feel as tight as when i pulled the old head bolts out but it felt a lot tighter than 5.5 ft/lbs.

i checked the block with a .0025 feeler and my straight edges i got from greece and i couldnt fit it under at all so im pretty confident that everything should work out when its back together. i plugged my air injection holes with jb weld so i can use the 96-98 thermal intake gasket. Looks like i will be using my 1/2 in craftsman torque wrench because its in ft/lbs but that means i have to use an adapter and extension together.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude you probably aren't the first person to do that.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well it sucks but what ever, I got to up the compression a tiny bit and take my head apart for the first time.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so its back up and running, there is definitely a huge difference in 60 in/lbs and 60 ft/lbs so lesson learned make sure you check your torque wrench beforehand. i had a minor coolant leak that i couldnt tell where it was coming from, it was pooling up on the subframe brace then leaking down onto my downpipe but it looks like it sealed its self up.

i retarded the distributor about a 1/16th inch from my original mark i put on the housing just until i get the car tuned, i tried to setup an appointment with speedfactory for the days between 19-22 of this month but they are all booked up, looks like i will be going back to chad barber in modesto

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i went to reno today, on a spur of the moment i decided to check out ivm motorsports.... these guys told me they wouldnt tune my car because they dont have a dyno and its a stock block with arp head studs, they sent me down the road to andre at A.N.D All Nevada Dyna. decided to go talk to him and im glad i did, got my car tuned today since they were not busy.

made 222whp 177tq

Last edited:

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i hooked up to my ostrich 2.0 and pulled my maps off, hopefully someone who know tuning good can tell me what they think

low cam ignition

hi cam ignition

low cam injector duty cycle

hi cam injector duty cycle

low cam fuel

hi cam fuel

i already found one f***up on the tuner, i told him i had 525cc injectors and i went to the fuel multiplier and noticed it said 440cc so i changed that but im not sure if i should adjust anything else or leave it the way the maps changed after i adjusted it

oh ya the only dyno picture i got because my phone died

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
If the AFRs are staying correct, and there isn't any obvious problems then I wouldn't mess with it any further.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well before i had him tune it i only had a hot start problem, now it seems hard to start any time i try to start it. also i notice getting on it in 4th gear it goes super rich to 9.5:1 and missfires

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
this was all before i messed with anything, i went to start it today for the first time after the tune and it acted like it was already warm and didnt want to start, also started smoking at idle. after further investigation i found that the injector battery voltage has not been messed with which im reading can cause the hot start prolem

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
little update, i have been playing with my tune almost everyday after work trying to get it how i like, no more choppyness after shifting gears (guy had way to much fuel at certain points), i have upped the boost from 6.5lbs to 7.5lbs and it spikes to 8psi sometimes.

i raced a wrx and i was beat by about a car and a half from a dig, but rolling start at 15mph in 1st gear it was only by about a 1/3 of a car. oh and i have some new headlights coming in a week and a half, here are some teasers that the seller sent me (they are finished just waiting on a relay harness then they come to me)

headlights on

headlight off cob backlight on

cob backlight on

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i have been getting really impatient waiting for the other housing so i installed the wiring and one headlight lol.

first warmup with the shop lights on

kind of hard to see but the ballast is mounted right below the headlight

cutoff with only one headlight

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
led p&p conversion kit in halogen housing before hid retro

lights off in the shop, hids warmed up

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ahh that retro looks great! I plan on doing this for my RSX, and the results of yours makes me all giddy