Future Civic owner

Larry123

Hello everyone this is my 1st forum post, I'm about to buy a 2002 Honda Civic EX coupe it has red paint and 230,000 miles it looks really well maintained and has a well taken care of interior.

Sadly the car only has a automatic transmission which is OK because I don't know how to drive a stick, further more I heard the automatic is only about a second slower on the 1/4 mile.

Questions I have is: does the Car have Vtech? it has the 1.7 L engine, I tried to pop the hood but the plastic latch is broken and going to have to take some tool to grab the thingy, I know obviously if it says vtech on top of the motor it probably has it.

Another Question at what RPM does Vtech Kick in? or figure that out my self on the test drive ? lol

the car is selling for $1,950.00 marked down from $2,750.00

I plan on buying a K&N air filter and doing a muffler delete for some starter mods for fun.

Before I buy the car what questions should I ask the owner?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Google "2002 Civic ex engine" and begin your knowledge search there. One should always research about the car they have interest in purchasing. Research in this forum will show you that this model is not worth any sort of upgrading aside from the air filter and perhaps a muffler upgrade for improved sound. Do NOT "delete" the muffler on a Civic unless you want an awful sound and respectable car enthusiasts laughing at you or shaking their heads in disgust.

Asking questions isn't as important as knowing what to look for. I'm pretty sure there a thread around that covers such things, so search for it. Best of luck on the hunt.

Last edited:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Questions I have is: does the Car have Vtech?
Another Question at what RPM does Vtech Kick in? or figure that out my self on the test drive ? lol

I plan on buying a K&N air filter and doing a muffler delete for some starter mods for fun.

Before I buy the car what questions should I ask the owner?
1. It's Vtec, yes it has it. Google "where does vtec kick in on 2002 Civic Ex."
2. Don't delete the muffler, you're not gaining anything. K&N drop in filter will be good, it should be the only filter you'll buy for it since you can clean them.
3. Ask for maintenance records, what's been done to the car, take it for a drive, let it get to running temp, see how it idles, does it burn or leak any oil?

These d17 motors have a small, if any aftermarket, just maintain it and enjoy it as a daily driver.

Last edited by a moderator:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: to ClubCivic!

What everyone else said. Plus, you're in Michigan. Get under the car and inspect for rust / rot.

And get a CarFax!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get under the car and inspect for rust / rot.
As you should with ANY Honda, or any car for that matter, located in the salt and snow belt.
Seems like those 7th gens don't hold up as well rot wise as the previous generations.