Future Problems?

GEE-Zus

Hey CC, I just bought a "98 Honda Civic Hatchback CX , with 125k. I was just wondering what kind of problems will occur in the near future, or what are some of the cons with this model.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you have no record of the timing belt being replaced, I would start there. Also seeing you live in the east I would try to keep the rear quarters rust free by repairing any small rust spots before they spread.

GEE-Zus

Thanks pmac193, ive noticed that around here, and the previous owner didn't have any repair records on him because he threw them "out". but timing belt will be my first move.

RonJ

Banned
List current problems with the car.

How's it running and driving?

Any CEL codes?

What doesn't work?

KillaGuizEj8Si

Registered VIP
In the future apple will run the world, all the devices will awaken and enslave mankind...........thats the problems I see for the future

mitka

5+ Year Member
Replace timing belt and water pump (this is expensive procedure).
Flush break fluid, transmission fluid and coolant (easy)
Check condition of radiator, replace it if it is in bad shape (easy)
Check CV boots, replace the whole axle if boot is torn (easy)
Check shocks and struts, replace if needed (easy)
Check brake pads, replace if needed (easy).
Replace spark plugs
Grease door hinges and locks, hood and hatch latches.
Hood release cable may need replacing.
This will set you up pretty good.

I have AT CX hatch with > 200K miles on it. Runs strong. I had done to it what I listed above during last 50K.

Here are potential problems with old civics:

- thermostat can get stuck
- calipers seize
- rust in the quaterpanels
- VSS fails because of eroded electrical connection or shorting in the wires due to rubbing against intake manifold bracket. VSS itself usually not a problem.
- hatch could leak
- AC may stop working, could be a b**** to find out why.

epic_civic

glad to hear someone else has a 98 cx, i myself have one with 174k on it, still runs like a champ with everything stock but the stereo and IM. but welcome to the hatch world and i look forward to seeing the mods!

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the rear quarter panels are prone to rust where the rear bumper bolts up in the wheel well.

GEE-Zus

Right now it runs good, but there is a bit squel noise sometimes when I step on the gas pedal but then dissapears when I go to a higher speed, noise occurs at 20-40mhp, I'm thinking its one of the belts. also the splash gurad for the cat is loose but I wil fix that. P.s what is a cel code?