Gas Tank Strap Removal

Anderson413

Hey all, finally got my gas tank off today. The straps are in really bad shape due to the gas leak. And they need to be replaced.

I started to take the 2, 14mm bolts off that hold the straps into the body (fwd of the car). But it seems like they are spinning on themselves. Is there a nut holding the bolts on? How do I get access to the nut if there is one?

I've been fighting this gas tank for a week now. And now that I finally got it out, this happened...

Thanks for your help.

Anderson413

Well it appears as though the only access to the nut is to cut material away from where the floor meets the seat support. I'm hoping this isn't the case.

Anyone got any more tips. I'll try and post pictures if it will help.

Anderson413

The strap isn't the issue. It's the bolt that hold the strap onto the car. Toward the from of the car. Not the rear.

I started to loosen the nut off, but it "snapped" and not it just freely turns. I'm assuming I snapped the weld that held the nut onto the frame. But there is no access hole for it.

Any idea's of how to get it out.. (I can grind it off I guess) but I then need to get a new on on there.

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
EDIT: Misread what bolt it was that broke, so my post was irrelevant. You could have done it by only taking only the rear bolts out.

Good luck getting it out.

Last edited:

Anderson413

Oh I know that. I had to cut the bolts off actually to get the straps to fall. It was then I noticed that since the tank leaked, it leaked all onto the left strap. And upon the rubber separator coming off the strap did I notice the strap was rusting out. About 1/2 of the thickness remains. I'm thinking my (easiest) option is to grind the bolt off and weld the new strap on.

I'm going to assume JB Quick weld is not an option here. I don't think it would be strong enough? Maybe?

I could leave the old strap on. But do I really want to risk it?

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
I'd do it properly and weld it and replace the old straps with new ones. It would suck to have to do it all over again if the JB weld didnt hold or the strap broke.

When I replaced my tank a few weeks back my rear bolts were stubborn. And both broke even after being heated up. And the front ones didn't want to budge.

Anderson413

Thanks.

Oh the front ones will budge =) 1/2 socket and 2 vice grips as a cheater bar. Probably why I snapped them. =). T rule for fixing C130's doesn't apply to cars I guess. "If it doesn't work, your not hitting it hard enough".

Thanks for the help. Now I gotta find someone with a welder. I posted the request on FB, with payment in beer form.