getting started: 98 civic

Tambini

Respected
Hello, so this civic was my first car from high school. I drove it from 02' to 09'. Then got a new car but could never part with my civic. I don't really know much about cars but want to learn more and work on the civic. I was wondering if anyone could just give me a few things I could change with little knowledge that would be a good way of jumping into mechanics and a learning experience. I have purchased a parts list catalog for this car and the repair manual. I would like to work on the performance maybe give it a little more torque or HP.

So to sum it up what are some small things I can work on for performance that have little risk with damaging the car. As i said this is my 1st car so it won't be going anywhere I will hold on to it and have it professionally repaired if i screw something up. Thank you!!

Also any suggestion for a good diagnostic reader?

Last edited:

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Welcome to CC @Tambini :mrgreen:

I'm in a similar situation. Got my civic in high school and now I tinker with it because it has too much sentimental value to let go of.

This wouldn't be really exciting stuff, but I think a good way of diving in is minor repair work. Are there any oil leaks from the valve cover or VTEC solenoid? Do the brakes need to be replaced? Maybe the CV axles could use being changed? It's hard to suggest stuff without a good idea of your experience/abilities. Those three tasks are things I think can be tackled with a little guidance, no specialized tools, and a weekend max.

It'll also be easier for people here to help you if you have a good idea of the destination (motor swap? forced induction? how much money/speed are you going for?).

Tambini

Respected
Thank you I really appreciate the suggestions. I'm not interested in swapping the motor. I would like to eventually take the whole engine apart and understand it but for now maybe change the exhaust system and add stuff like a turbo. My knowledge is very limited I've changed the oil and the brakes but have been really hesitant to do anything like add a turbo or anything like that.

I do appreciate the changing cv axles being changed. I'll look into that so thank you

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, CV axles tend to be overlooked in daily drivers, because they usually die very slowly before actually failing. They also take just a few hours to replace; you'll need a 32MM socket and a big breaker bar or an impact socket to get the end nut off, but other than that it's straightforward.

I haven't done any engine building, but depending on how much pressure you want to generate with the turbo you'll want to build the engine first and make sure it can handle the turbo. Best thing for it is to read as many guides online and then start making a plan (cheap, fast, reliable; pick two).