Good day looking for some help

Aaron_Edwards

I bought a 96 ek3 civic with a d15b non vtec motor with a cvt multimatic transmission.

Is this a good platform to start with? And what mods can I do to up the performance

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Jesseray555

Well with that motor, the only way your going to get any performance out of it is to swap it out to a larger motor. Or you can add on a air intake and performance exhaust header without a catalytic converter and you should get an extra 5 hp. Sure you'll sound a lot louder, and people will try to race you, but you aren't going any faster without a bigger engine. I hope this helps, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There is always boost as well, but you are going to want to ditch that cvt transmission. They can't handle any kind of power, and are the biggest weak point to a honda by far.

Aaron_Edwards

I was thinking about a b16a on a s20

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That would be a good start.

Aaron_Edwards

Does removing the cat and replacing the piping with 2.5 increase performance or just make noise

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wouldn't bother wasting money on an exhaust system, if you want something worth while boost the motor or swap it

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow nice civic, I always wanted the sir style front and rear bumpers and power folding mirrors.is your dashboard black and your glove box and lower portion dark grey? Looks like you have a lot of rare and hard to find parts on your car

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does removing the cat and replacing the piping with 2.5 increase performance or just make noise

On a stock n/a d-series motor...just makes a bunch of noise.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
On a stock n/a d-series motor...just makes a bunch of noise.
And obnoxious noise at that. Its not worth changing the exhaust piping on a stock D-series engine. So long as you have a CVT transmission, you will not get any performance improvements off any engine upgrades. Just get a K&N drop-in air filter, keep everything else relatively stock in the engine bay and enjoy the fuel efficiency while you save money for a worthwhile engine & tranny swap.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would upgrade the rims & suspension to lower it at least an inch and leave it at that, exterior wise.