Good entry level DSLR.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Almost pulled the trigger, but wanted to get some feedback.

Not looking at starting a photography company, nor am I going to be charging to take pictures for people. What I am looking for is some better quality photos. I am tired of shooting these beautiful cars that come through here with my cell phone. I want something that is going to get a good quality without diving in to deep.

One of out photographers that takes pictures for all of our lot cars is selling his Nikon D3100 w/ an 18-55mm lens. Can pick it up for around $300 (I'm sure there is haggling room).

What say ye? Is it outdated? I know they were good in their day, but what about now? Any reason for a guy like me that only wants to shoot some hot vehicles from time to time to step up to one of the big boys?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The camera itself isn't that big of a contributor to the quality of your photos as the lens is. If the body and sensor is in good shape, it's going to do a good job with a good person in control of the camera. A vast majority of photographers DO NOT shoot with the most current camera bodies. Most of the time, you can do the same job with an older model camera and knowledge of the equipment. I'd say any current or recent model DSLR is good for what you need. Every major camera brand has its' pros and cons, but those tend to apply only to professional users or particular circumstances.

For that price and that camera, that's a good deal. I doubt you'll find yourself wanting more from the camera itself, if anything you'll want a different lens...something with more zoom range or a faster F-stop.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks @CHILD for the insight.

Talked to him this afternoon before I left work while he was shooting the new trade ins. Got some interesting info that I didn't catch when he and I were talking earlier this week. The camera body is new. He bought it for a back up in case something happens to his main one. That way he isn't down a camera, but nothing has gone wrong with his "daily" so he hasn't used it.

The lens is used and and is one of his spare lenses.

He said he will let the body go for $200 and I can find my own lens if I want or $260 is his lowest price with the 18-55mm lens.

What do you think?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's a really good deal honestly.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol. Don't have to tell me more than twice. Texted him. Going to seal the deal Tuesday when he comes through to shoot the next batch.

Thanks again man!