Got CEL code P0505 so it is time to replace my IACV?

sleeper si

Registered VIP
Been having erractic idle during the winter, up and down from 1600 to 1100 and also the machine gun idle at 1600-1700 rpm. Before didn't get a CEL but today got one and I scanned it and it reads P0505 which is idle air system. So does it mean that the IACV needs replacing? Was thinking when it is warmer to clean the sucker again before going the replacement route.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Been having erractic idle during the winter, up and down from 1600 to 1100 and also the machine gun idle at 1600-1700 rpm. Before didn't get a CEL but today got one and I scanned it and it reads P0505 which is idle air system. So does it mean that the IACV needs replacing? Was thinking when it is warmer to clean the sucker again before going the replacement route.
P0505 really only indicates there is an inefficiency in the idle air system, meaning you could have a vacuum leak, faulty or dirty iacv, carbon build up etc. i wouldn't readily opt for a new iacv, clean it and check for vacuum leaks. preferably while cold then hot.

thzpcs

Try spraying some starter fluid around the vacuum hoses, and if it revs higher, you've found your leak. But, the IACV does sound like a pretty likely cause, but hopefully it's just dirty