Got lucky with a 2000 Civic hatch

jakeeton1002

Respected
So I was browsing the Ohio Craigslist, looking through the "civic hatch" section. And saw mostly overpriced Honda rot, and 'heavily' modified hatches that didn't have the factory paint.

As I was scrolling through, one caught my eye. It was a very nice, and clean 2000 hatch, buuuut it had a blown head gasket and some other problems so I kept scrolling.

Another caught my eye, and it interested me, but I had to talk it over with the wife before I even shot the guy a text.

I call him, and go look at it in person the same night. This civic stole my heart the second I took off in it, so I gave him a deposit, came back and got it a week and some change later.

It's not 'low mileage', or pristine. But this car has been a blast so far, and has no problems.

(I had a manual 97 Acura Cl that was nothing but problems, but it was a blast. But I think thia civic beats it)

The day I brought her home
uploadfromtaptalk1457256916416.jpg

Got her cleaned and waxed
uploadfromtaptalk1457256935319.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1457256940073.jpg

Started messing with things
uploadfromtaptalk1457257005393.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1457257015610.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1457257021983.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1457257038275.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1457257047535.jpg

I'm lucky to have gotten a hold of this car, and I can't wait to do more to it.

(I think the door inserts will be Star Wars next.)

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice pickup.

Where in OH you located?

how did you do the center console piece with a different lay out...............sorry if you said above was it some sort of trim package?........:shock:

jakeeton1002

Respected
Nice pickup.

Where in OH you located?
In the Dayton/Beavercreek area.

how did you do the center console piece with a different lay out...............sorry if you said above was it some sort of trim package?........:shock:
What do you mean? I just assumed all hatches had the same center console lol

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

ahhhh for the love of the little hatchbacks sweet ride dude!
Thanks! I've always been a fan of the EJ/EK hatches.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Man, it may be high mileage but it still appears to be an unmolested all-original manual hatchback. That, in its own, is a rarity especially if it runs well. Congrats on the find. How much mileage does it actually have?

jakeeton1002

Respected
Yeah, still has the factory radio and the little cargo cover in the back too. That really surprised me. It's sitting at like 179,650. No knocks, ticks, grinds, pop outs, drops of fluid, whines (at least not the good whine). No problems at all. Knock on wood

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What do you mean? I just assumed all hatches had the same center console lol
Yeah. I dont follow Bradleys meaning. Did you mean to refer to the re-upholstery of the armrest & shift boot? Perhaps you're not familiar with the different '99-'00 cup holder & center dash console, which varies from the '96-'98 models.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, still has the factory radio and the little cargo cover in the back too. That really surprised me. It's sitting at like 179,650. No knocks, ticks, grinds, pop outs, drops of fluid, whines (at least not the good whine). No problems at all. Knock on wood
179,xxx+ miles is not bad for a Civic. If its been well maintained and you continue to do so, that engine will last at least another 100,xxx miles.

What plans do you currently have for it?

jakeeton1002

Respected
179,xxx+ miles is not bad for a Civic. If its been well maintained and you continue to do so, that engine will last at least another 100,xxx miles.
My Acura had 252,xxx when I sold it, and it was still running strong. It was only lowered on springs, and had an exhaust.

As far as the hatch goes, I'm not touching the engine (for right now at least). But, I'm shooting for coils, wheels and tires by mid summer. Still undecided as far exhausts are concerned, I'll probably just buy a full race style muffler and do custom piping.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As far as the hatch goes, I'm not touching the engine (for right now at least). But, I'm shooting for coils, wheels and tires by mid summer. Still undecided as far exhausts are concerned, I'll probably just buy a full race style muffler and do custom piping.
Don't just install lowering springs on stock struts because they will not last. Stock level struts aren't designed to handle lowering springs so it'll vastly accelerate their wear. I strongly suggest against "racing" exhaust system or any full exhaust system on that stock muffler as it'll be a total waste of money because you will improve nothing. Its the equivalent to using a garden hose in place of a straw to drink a soda. Mildly upgrade the muffler at most, for improved sound, and call it a day. If you heavily modify the engine internals or swap in a beefier engine, then you should consider upgrading to a full performance exhaust.

jakeeton1002

Respected
Don't just install lowering springs on stock struts because they will not last. Stock level struts aren't designed to handle lowering springs so it'll vastly accelerate their wear. I strongly suggest against "racing" exhaust system or any full exhaust system on that stock muffler as it'll be a total waste of money because you will improve nothing. Its the equivalent to using a garden hose in place of a straw to drink a soda. Mildly upgrade the muffler at most, for improved sound, and call it a day. If you heavily modify the engine internals or swap in a beefier engine, then you should consider upgrading to a full performance exhaust.
I'm getting full coilovers from D2. I had springs on my Cl's factory struts and wasn't a fan.

With exhaust, I know that just a jump in diameter is little to no help. Just want a beefier tone and a different muffler than anything. It's just one of those things that I'll know what I'm doing when I come to it.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm getting full coilovers from D2. I had springs on my Cl's factory struts and wasn't a fan.

With exhaust, I know that just a jump in diameter is little to no help. Just want a beefier tone and a different muffler than anything. It's just one of those things that I'll know what I'm doing when I come to it.
Ah, ok. That all makes more sense then. FYI, I simply swapped in an RSX-S muffler with my stock engine & pipes and I've been very pleased with the results. I believe two other members here did the same and were also pleased. You may wish to consider a similar option for this stock engine and save the extra cash for the more important projects down the line.

jakeeton1002

Respected
Ah, ok. That all makes more sense then. FYI, I simply swapped in an RSX-S muffler on my stock engine and I've been very pleased with the results. I believe two other members here did the same and were also pleased. You may wish to consider a similar option for this stock engine and save the extra cash for the more important projects down the line.
I actually really like that idea. That's probably what I'll do. Thanks for suggesting that!

Right now, my plans are to eventually have the hatch semi Autocross ready. Just some solid suspension, wheels, tires, ans chassis bracing (maybe). As of right now, she's my daily, so no swaps or boosted mods are inbound. (although I do like what I've seen of the K20 swaps)

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I actually really like that idea. That's probably what I'll do. Thanks for suggesting that!
It's my pleasure. It'd be cool to see used muffler upgrades become more popular than opting for crappy brand-less Chinese mufflers or useless overkill set-ups on stock engines like many do.

Right now, my plans are to eventually have the hatch semi Autocross ready. Just some solid suspension, wheels, tires, ans chassis bracing (maybe). As of right now, she's my daily, so no swaps or boosted mods are inbound. (although I do like what I've seen of the K20 swaps)
Thats a pretty solid and realistic loose idea so far. There can never be enough K20-swapped Civics.

jakeeton1002

Respected
Rare find in that part of the country these days.
When I bought the car, the guy had Honda dealership maintenance receipts dating all the way back to 2007, and his dad owned it before him. It only had 60,000 miles on it in 2007. The car was sold off of the showroom floor in 2000, in New York. It's cool to see where a car started and went, before it made it's way to you.

jakeeton1002

Respected
It's my pleasure. It'd be cool to see used muffler upgrades become more popular than opting for crappy brand-less Chinese mufflers or useless overkill set-ups on stock engines like many do.

Thats a pretty solid and realistic loose idea so far. There can never be enough K20-swapped Civics.
Next step; find a used RSX-S muffler lol

Reactions: HeX