Grinding Gears, use to be 3rd, but moved to 2nd

I drive a 99 civic EX coupe 1.6l non-vtec

After I changed the clutch my 3rd gear would grind. It would happen every time I move the shifter lever from 2nd to 3rd, and I could prevent the grind by allowing the rpm's to drop and sync up with the engine speed and very lightly holding the lever towards 3rd until it fell into gear. (Bad syncro right?) Never had the problem before replacing the clutch. I started skipping 3rd all together. Months later I started having a grind in 2nd. But this grind would happen "after" I put my shifter into 2nd and when I started to lift my foot off the clutch as if it wasn't all the way into 2nd gear or something. This was intermittent and would happen about 25% of the time. I started using 3rd gear lightly again and skipping 2nd. Then, I started to notice 3rd gear didn't grind anymore! I could put the shifter right from 2nd into 3rd and no more grind!

So my question is, is there something in the transmission that 2nd and 3rd gear share that could be bad and passed on from 3rd to 2nd?

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Worn out synchro's. When the clutch was extensively worn it was allowing extra "play" which was possibly helping with slipping the gear in. Now with proper clutch engagement you are revealing how worn how the synchronizers are.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Before you make any drastic changes, do a full trans flush. Use some generic trans fluid to flush it out, then replace with Synchromesh or Amsoil. I'd also recommend replacing the drain bolt with a magnetic one. In my RSX I used to have a 2nd gear grind - I did a flush and replaced with Amsoil MTF and a magentic drain bolt. Grind has been gone for years. Cheap and worth a shot IMO.