Grinding Sound that only goes away when clutch is engaged

Bredsox24

So my car is making this grinding noise (seems to be coming from the transmission) and only goes away when I have my clutch pushed in all the way but continues when I'm accelerating. Now my first idea was the release bearing or something of that sort so I replaced and put in a complete clutch set (new). Unfortunately the noise is still there and I'm completely out of ideas on what exactly it can be.

Ive been doing a lot of reading but didn't find exactly my prob or an exact solution to my prob. Please help any input will get me closer to finding a solution thanks!

xHanzJay

Lulzaflopter
sounds like the issue with my car.
input shaft bearing

xHanzJay

Lulzaflopter
if the ginding is most loud in 1st and 2nd, but 3-4-5 isn't as loud, that's an input shaft.
from what i've researched.

Bredsox24

You should have posted a thread before you replaced the clutch.

^This or another transmission main bearing.
Yea but its been a while since i changed my clutch anyway so may as well.
So if its the input shaft bearing that means taking the transmission completely apart :shock:.
I prob don't have that kind of time on my hands and if i take it to mechanic they are going to charge me some insane price just for input shaft bearing... Do you guys think it would be a better idea if i were to buy a fairly low-mileage transmission and pay the mechanic to just put that one in considering its pretty much the same price?

xHanzJay

Lulzaflopter
Yea but its been a while since i changed my clutch anyway so may as well.
So if its the input shaft bearing that means taking the transmission completely apart :shock:.
I prob don't have that kind of time on my hands and if i take it to mechanic they are going to charge me some insane price just for input shaft bearing... Do you guys think it would be a better idea if i were to buy a fairly low-mileage transmission and pay the mechanic to just put that one in considering its pretty much the same price?
that was (is) my solution.

then you have a spare trans you can sell. maybe get $40 back lol

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its nit that hard to remove. You can do it in two hours. Its just lower ball joints, forks, and all the connectors, starter, and housing bolts. The trans itself is easy to rip apart too.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Abyss

My car does the same thing. My dad and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, but would leaving it like that cause any damage?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good luck. had same issue with my 92. hardest part was trying to get the clutch case back on, while keeping the gearset in alignment. Man, was that bearing trashed!

Bredsox24

Yup, it was definitely the input shaft bearing. It was a bit time consuming but I'm glad i got that out of the way.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good to hear! And I meant "transmission case", not clutch case. Geez, that was stupid of me