grounding issue

4bangincivic

sup
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So my buddy gave me his inclosed subs, a 500w amp, wires blah blah, hooked up everything, everything is correct. When I first ground the ground the subs work for about 2 minutes then shut off like there's no power. Can anyone shed some light as to why my subs only work when the ground is moved then re-attached?

DiverDown

For starters, don't keep running it like that. It's def a bad ground, and that can be a serious problem in some cases if not taken care of.

First thing I would do it check the ground location. Is it sanded down COMPLETELY to bare metal (get a metal-scraping drill bit attatchment :D), so that the entire connector is touching? Even if you had a 0/1 AWG wire on there you would bottleneck it if you had less than a quarter square inch of connector-to-chassis contact.

Next, even if the thing it's attatched to is sanded completely, make SURE that (if it's not the frame) whatever THAT piece of metal is is also having full contact with the frame. I once had a ground attached to a panel-hole cover and didn't know there was a foam-gasket-thing between the plate and the frame. Same problem you're having.

Lastly, if all that is correct, check the grounding wire itself. I had a crimp in a wire once and you could actually see through the insulation there was evidence of an arc (this was of course after that caused my amp to fry).

Good luck man, hope this helps, keep us posted!