gsr strut bar on ek hatch?

dj_audio

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was almost positive the gsr strut bar would fit on my hatch. I was searching for the answer to this question because i would have thought it would be a common thing, but yeah, i guess not. I just picked up an oem gsr strut bar from a friend and it doesnt fit. I found lil markings for holes that line up, but do i have to drill holes into the chassis to bolt it on? not only that what type of bolts would i need to secure it to my chassis? its really strange, i always thought it was a direct bolt on, but i guess not. i also thought the strut bar goes arround the shock bolts but for some strange reason the fitment isnt right. can any one point me in the right direction? thanks.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the one bars require you to drill like you thought.. the little dimples you see are there for you to drill the factory bars do NOT mount to the strut mounts like a lot of the aftermarket ones

Jay Jay

Administrator
Staff member
Premium
^^ yup, the si bar is the same which is what I put on my hatch. I just lined it up and marked it with a sharpy then drilled the holes the same size as the holes in the bar. Then got some bolts and nuts from the hardware shop to mount it up.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The bolts I use for my GSR bar are some meaty bolts I grabbed out of a bin at the hardware store. They're 11/18th's head and an 11/18th's nut. I'm gonna replace em soon with a metric bolt and a zip nut (self locking). I've just been too lazy to go to Tacoma Screw.

dj_audio

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok cool, thanks for the help. looks like i'll be drilling away at my chassis. another quick question. did anyone have trouble with the strut bar hitting their air box? the strut bar hits my stock air box, which i guess doesnt really matter because im planning to get an intake anyway. anyway arround that? or just buy that s**t now opposed to later?

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dj_audio said:
ok cool, thanks for the help. looks like i'll be drilling away at my chassis. another quick question. did anyone have trouble with the strut bar hitting their air box? the strut bar hits my stock air box, which i guess doesnt really matter because im planning to get an intake anyway. anyway arround that? or just buy that s**t now opposed to later?

well its made to use with a car with a stock air box but my GUESS is that you dont have an SI or EX.. so its the other kind of intake (which it may not clear) what you will need to do is eye it up and be sure it will fit first.. and beyong that you should probably get the intake you want BEFORE you install the bar just in case the aftermarket intake WONT let you use the bar at all.. because that would REALLY suck...

dj_audio

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oc_civic said:
well its made to use with a car with a stock air box but my GUESS is that you dont have an SI or EX.. so its the other kind of intake (which it may not clear) what you will need to do is eye it up and be sure it will fit first.. and beyong that you should probably get the intake you want BEFORE you install the bar just in case the aftermarket intake WONT let you use the bar at all.. because that would REALLY suck...
yeah i got a hatch so it has the non vtec head with the air filter on top of the intake mani opposed to in the front like most other hondas. yeah i guess i'll order the intake then install the strut bar, never realized installing a gsr strut bar on my hatch would be so much work/ trouble, i always thought it was just an easier bolt right in mod.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dj_audio said:
yeah i got a hatch so it has the non vtec head with the air filter on top of the intake mani opposed to in the front like most other hondas. yeah i guess i'll order the intake then install the strut bar, never realized installing a gsr strut bar on my hatch would be so much work/ trouble, i always thought it was just an easier bolt right in mod.

it IS a great easy bolt in mod :D but it needs a little prep work... just make sure you are sure you want to keep it thats all because its hard to undrill 4 holes... ;)