Gummy Shifts with Manual Transmission?

mmslue79

5+ Year Member
I am a newby to the board, just want to make that clear. So if I do something wrong, I am sorry. But I have a problem with my car and need help ASAP. Here are the stats of my car...

2001 Honda Civic Coupe EX w/manual transmission.
-58,200 miles.

-Tranny fluid flushed at 55,500 (6 weeks ago)

I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The weather the past week has been around or below 0 degrees (-20 for a period one day). About three to four days ago, I jumped in my car early in the morning and it was extrememly cold. I started to drive and noticed during shifts that it felt "gummy". I thought it was the weather and that the car needed to warm up or driven a bit to be normal. After three or four days it is not getting better. Also the weather right now is over freezing actually 35 degrees exactly. It does it on all gears, but not all the time. It feels as I said "gummy", almost as there is pressure against my shift into a certain gear. I have had my Civic for three winters now, and have never felt my tranny do this.

I need to know what to do, becuase I will be traveling about 4 hours away in my Civic this coming Wednsday and Thursday.

Also, I have not driven it more than 15 miles since this has happened at one time. But the engine is fully warmed up by the time I turn it off again, not sure if this helps or not.

Any ideas, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I will most definately call my local Honda Dealership Monday morning, but till then should I stay away from driving it or is it something minor?

Thanks!

mmslue79

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A really good place to start is with your shifter bushings. It sounds like your stock rubber ones are just completely degraded, and you need new ones. Just search on ebay for some polyurethayne ones from Energy Suspension. Even if that turns out not to be the problem, at least you got your shifter bushings taken care of.

mmslue79

5+ Year Member
Eran:

Thanks for the reply, I will have all work done on my car by my Honda Dealership. Is it a big deal or what is the cost of shifter bushings?

Thanks

mk97

g0t h0nda?
5+ Year Member
20 bucks for energy bushings, and i hear they are very easy to install.

mmslue79

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the replies, I will call Honda Monday. If there is anymore insight I could get I would like that.

mk97

g0t h0nda?
5+ Year Member
i dont think honda would use anything but oem parts, so id just go ahead and order the bushings off ebay for 20. go ahead and see what they charge for that kind of thing though.

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
like eran said.. maybe your old bushing just died from hypothermia.. just get a energy suspension bushings..

mlassek

5+ Year Member
ok.............'01 civic right? thoes use cables not shift rods,correct? bushings should not be the problem, you need to take a look at the shifter or cables themselves. check thier tension, connections, and fittings.