H22A 1990 hatch?????????????

90dohcD

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok im thinkin bout goin h22a in my 1990 dx hatch can anyone give me some pointers on this swap im set on this engine so let me know all the info u can give me!

trace01m

E thug.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It can definitely be done, but it is a hell of a tight fit. It seems to hang very low, also, so going slow over bumps becomes a requirement.

ryantrevors

5+ Year Member
any other how-to's? i also wanna do this to my hatch and would like to read a bunch of stuff before going out and wasting money. JDMracingmotors.com sells the full swap for 1900.

90B16Ed

At Your Mom's House
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
x3. This guy that I knew has a H22 in his CRX. It wasn't that hard. AFter welding the mount back on himn and another guy got the engine hanging within the hour, I think. I wasn't there and I don't really talk t him anymore, but yeah. You do have to be careful about the height though. That s**t is a mofo. I was going to but an H22 in my Eg, but I'm selling it, and now I'm going to but it in my '91.

OLOCK

Banned
yeah i have a h22 crx. it is pretty easy, the hardest thing that i have had to deal with is theft. i was done with the car and some morons came and gutted the damn thing, leaving me with just an engine. so i have to start all over. you will run into some sort of an issue with the shift cables, it will require some cutting and welding, or you could make it all very simple on yourself and go h2b, you can then use the normal bseries axles and you dont have to cut or weld for the shift linkage, you could just buy one from hasport or ebay, alot of people sell them. but anywho john at explicit can make you a h2b mount kit for the crx if you ask him about it, hes a really good guy and is more then willing to help you out in any questions you might have, i have called him several times and i use his mount kit, with alternator re-location, cable to hydro kit, and his traction bars.

90_EF9_VTEC

JDM D15B
5+ Year Member
well from what i heard you will need to reweld the motor mounts and all that and when you blow your engine you wont be able to put any other engine in besides the H series i dont know how accurate this is so correct me if im wrong guys its just what i have been told

andre4444

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
haha, that dude on honda tech must be having fun with all that fab
im currently in the process of putting an h22 in my ef.
i already bought the ef h22 packaged deal from ESP, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! comes with tons of instructions on how to install everything and gives measurments and whatnot so that you will have perfect engine alignment. im waiting for my h22 to arrive and am just taking out the ol' d16 now.

one quick question to anyone out there that may know anyhting about this swap. I dont want to piece togther the axles like what they did on the ESP website.. so can i jsut buy the ef Hseries axels from hasport isntead?? will i need Si brake/hub assembly for the axels to work since i have a cx? thanks

andre4444

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh and btw i read sooo many people saying conficting things about this swap and stuff... so at the end i just found myself saying screw waht otehr people say. if i want to do it i'll do it, cause a lot of people write tons of s**t w/o any experience y'know

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh and btw i read sooo many people saying conficting things about this swap and stuff... so at the end i just found myself saying screw waht otehr people say. if i want to do it i'll do it, cause a lot of people write tons of s**t w/o any experience y'know
THANK YOU... thats a very VERY good point he has right there about "what i heard" i know i tend to do it myself but i like to experience it before i talk about it. i wouldnt mind doing an H22 swap. that CRX is fast in that video. im jealous

trace01m

E thug.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I know the Hasport axles will work. Don't know if you need to change the hubs cuz it's been a while since I did the research on it

OLOCK

Banned
looks like you forgot the first sentence in the topic about the drivetrain:

"You need the Integra or civic si or crx si hub and spindle assembly."

your best bet for the axles is to have a custom set made. i got the axles that esp said to get and i sent them off to have them used as a template to make stronger axles. or again just go h2b and make it ALOT easier on yourself.

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
looks like you forgot the first sentence in the topic about the drivetrain:

"You need the Integra or civic si or crx si hub and spindle assembly."
i covered that before the quote. because i knew the answer. and CRX DX hubs will work also. Any 5 speed hub will work.

i quoted the axle info, because i didnt know that and took the info straight from the site.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i covered that before the quote. because i knew the answer. and CRX DX hubs will work also. Any 5 speed hub will work.

i quoted the axle info, because i didnt know that and took the info straight from the site.
HF hubs are different also.
STD and HF models are the different ones

=)