Halogen bulbs

DocShay

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Who here uses them? I'm thinking about getting some..

Did a little research and I think I got my bulb size right, H4 9003 - for my 98 civic SI. Please do correct me if i'm wrong before I buy..

Also, moneys tight right now - while normally i'd love to support local shops, I really can't afford it. Been looking around on ebay and I see some big price differences, I can see some bulbs as low as 5$ - others 25,30 and some around 200$

Is there any brand, or specific thing I should avoid?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/H4-MTEC-Cosmos-Blue-White-Halogen-Headlight-Bulbs_W0QQitemZ290197309865QQihZ019QQcategoryZ36476QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Had my eye on these ones...

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes, you got the bulb right and those bulbs should work fine.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yes H4 is the right size for your car.

Avoid coated bulbs. They have a shorter life span and generally, they have poor light output (compared to non-coated bulbs).

I've gone through Sylvania OE Replacements, Sylvania SilverStars, Luminics Ultra White (coated blue for the "HID look"), and Osram SilverStars. Out of all of them, none of them compare to my Osram's. They have the most light output and they're rated at stock wattage.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I have the Nokya arctic White bulb and they are very good and have a nice blueish tint.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yeah those are them, I could probably get pics like tomorrow seeing as it like 15 degrees outside now :(

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yeah, they light up the road alot better that my Cool Blues I had (will NEVER buy those again).

DocShay

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You just using a stock wiring harness? I got a couple guys telling me I should upgrade it or i'll burn it out eventually.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I never bought the upgraded wiring harness, and I've had mine in since the middle of November. No problems so far.

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've got the Nokya Artics in our Subaru. To be honest, they are a little too blue for me.

iOn

I like pie.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had some the same Nokya bulbs. Great bulbs! Didn't have problem with wire harness either.

K2_civic

Fo-drizzle!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I bought the $5 and they are better than the PIAA, MTEC, and SILVERSTARS that I bought the first 3 times. Just go cheap and buy twice as many

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes H4 is the right size for your car.

Avoid coated bulbs. They have a shorter life span and generally, they have poor light output (compared to non-coated bulbs).

I've gone through Sylvania OE Replacements, Sylvania SilverStars, Luminics Ultra White (coated blue for the "HID look"), and Osram SilverStars. Out of all of them, none of them compare to my Osram's. They have the most light output and they're rated at stock wattage.
Osram =Sylvania.
Sylvania is just the name that Osram uses to market parts in North America.
Now that you bragged they will burn out....mine did.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Osram =Sylvania.
Sylvania is just the name that Osram uses to market parts in North America.
Now that you bragged they will burn out....mine did.
I believe that amej8 is talking about OSRAM Silverstars....they can't be bought in the US. They must be purchased over seas and imported. But, thanks to eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OSRAM-H4-SILVERSTAR-50-CAPS-XENON-HONDA-TOYOTA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ004QQitemZ140198024708QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And Sylvania is the name that Osram markets their parts under in North America.

If Osram is actually manufacturing two entirely separate products and selling them under the same product name (ie: SilverStars) then they are not a well managed company.

Then again, German companies don't manage foreign companies well at all. BMW and Daimler Mercedes Benz are notable failures. Perhaps they are just dumping huge losses on two production runs of the same style product.