Hard shifting into first gear when cold.

lscivic48

I put lucas oil additive in to help out. when I was working at Honda, a couple of us techs started doing this and I have never changed back.

naabnco

update: it does seem to be shifting better. However, it's still harder to go into first than I feel like it should be. But it hasn't been stuck to the point where I couldn't get it into gear since I changed the fluid.

RonJ

Banned
Run the car for a few months and then drain-refill again with Honda MTF.

And if a clutch job is on the horizon, then after dropping the transmission, crack it open and clean the metal debris from the magnet.

lscivic48

the damage to the gears or synchros has probably already been done or for some strange reason the slave cylinder might be going bad.

lscivic48

Run the car for a few months and then drain-refill again with Honda MTF.

And if a clutch job is on the horizon, then after dropping the transmission, crack it open and clean the metal debris from the magnet.
and I wouldn't be cracking open the tranny without all the proper tools. not really a job for a novice.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
and I wouldn't be cracking open the tranny without all the proper tools. not really a job for a novice.
What tools? Lol, all you need is a ratchet and socket set, and a pair of snap ring pliers. I've ripped like 10 different transmissions and transaxles apart. The only other thing you would need is a press to get the bearings off, however, you can get creative with that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Need to shim the shaft.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know you do, I'm just saying shaft end play should be measured or you won't know which shim especially if your adding in like lsd.
Which isn't hard, at all, and isn't necessary unless you are rebuilding it. You just need a dial indicator. They're like $10. Good ones are a little pricier but it can still be used.