Hard to shift into 1st gear, HELP!!

achiravuri

5+ Year Member
So i did a tranny swap and got a b16 tranny into my 98 civic. It has a B&M short shifter. Now its very hard to shift into first gear, i can do it sometimes but most of the time i can't. all the other gears are fine. there's no noise what so ever. Also it feels like the gears have moved somewhat, it feels like 1st is where 3rd is and 3rd is where 5th is. I never had this problem before the swap. is it the tranny for the shifter bushings?? any help is apricated.

amaestre32

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
syncros? or shift linkage?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your shift linkage sounds bent. Did you do the swap yourself, or did a shop?

achiravuri

5+ Year Member
shop did the swap, the mechanic is saying that it might be the pivot joint bushing on the shifter itself, only honda has it and its $50

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shop did the swap, the mechanic is saying that it might be the pivot joint bushing on the shifter itself, only honda has it and its $50
Hmm...dosent sound like its the issue, IMO. I used a bushing off a 93 Civic, that was beat to hell (the bushing itself), and never had that issue. I would still check your linkage to make sure nothing is bent.

achiravuri

5+ Year Member
well, the linkage didn't change after the swap, its the original one, so i don't think thats the problem. could it be the shifter stablizier bushings or the pivot joint bushing?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What engine/tranny did you have before the swap?

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
LOL probably the mechanic that didnt know it was shorter was banging it trying to make it fit..lol no seriously.

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if a shop did it then take it back? if you paid a doctor to fix a broken leg and left with a broken leg would you get on forums asking whats wrong?

achiravuri

5+ Year Member
the linkages are the same, i checked with honda, also if they are different how come only the 1st gear is affected?

achiravuri

5+ Year Member
also when i try to put it into first gear, i don't hear the gears grinding, it feels like its being blocked. like when u try to shift without the clutch pedal down. thats why i don't think its the tranny.

achiravuri

5+ Year Member
the reason i'm not talking to the mech is that it was done in dallas, and now im in austin. i just want to find out what the problem is before i drive back to dallas and make him fix it. also, i've been reading some similar forums and my problem only happens in 1st gear, not reverse. also there is no noise wat so ever when i force it into 1st gear.

achiravuri

5+ Year Member
i just got the bushings for the shifter, its not like the energy sunspension shifter stabilizer bushings but they are called dust seal which is rubber and shifter bushing, and i got them straight from honda. wish i could post pics of them but cc won't let me. do you guys think these parts will help. thanks

achiravuri

5+ Year Member
I was wondering if a broken speed sensor will cause this problem, cause my speedometer is not accuaratly working and the speed sensor looks likes its broken