Hatchback Spare Tire Compartment Lid

fishish

5+ Year Member
Hi, I'm new here. Just bought a 1998 Civic Hatchback CX, and the lid that covers the spare tire compartment is missing. Aside from the dealership and scrapyards, can someone point me in the right direction to find a replacement? Are there any good online mailorder companies? Most of what I have seen look like generic flexible liners. I can't imagine they would provide much of a surface for luggage.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
make your own

OverboostSI

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm with stealthy, build your own. It shouldn't be hard. Just go to Home Depot, buy a piece of plywood and cut it to size.

Sundown

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
or make a thread saying you're looking for an OEM one while you have your homemade one..

hispanicboi

5+ Year Member
yea id say just make ur own...thats what im doin right now. u can just get some mdf wood from home depot or something. and buy some carpet from most car stereo places.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I assume you mean the hatch cover, not the little styrofoam piece that sits on top of the spare wheel and holds tools.

It's not missing... CXs just don't come with them. If you want one you're going to need the clips for it too.

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Make ur own.... Honda spare tire covers = weaksauce x100... I replaced mine with some nice 1/2 plywood, worked great and my subs never sagged

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well, if he really means the hatch cover, and not the false floor, then it's completely different. I mean, subs aren't going to sit on the hatch cover. :lol:

The member here, Eran, has a CX and had a DIY hatch cover for awhile, but it rattled when he drove since it had no way to be properly secured. Plus it didn't bend in the middle like the sotck covers. He replaced it with one from a DX hatch and found out he'd need clips to secure it in place (otherwise it sits too high and rattle too). Got some clips for it and popped those in and it's much nicer.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Also remember to properly secure it for safety reasons. Things in the back of the car can and often will go forward in the event of a collision. This can cause secondary collisions which can cause death.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get a sheet of hardboard or tileboard.

Cheap, stiff, flexible and light. I carried a piece of 4X8 tileboard in my 'teg. flexed from the rear floorboard to the hatch. It didn't break