having problems getting in gear

James_spec

5+ Year Member
recently i experienced trouble shifting into gear espacilly second gear. don't know whats happaning. ( i have a 98 civic hb dx D16y7 stock tranny) buddy of mine says that i might be low n trans fluid but i have no idea how to check it. u guys have any suggestions? special thanks to those that could help.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
How many miles on your clutch, has it ever been replaced?

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would think the clutch. Or a bad 2nd gear.

zdiver07

5+ Year Member
try replacing the shifter bushings, get some aftermarket ones on ebay, mine are on their way!

James_spec

5+ Year Member
Jbuck2KCivic said:
How many miles on your clutch, has it ever been replaced?
i bought it with 65k miles and now has 120k, but the clucth (i was told) is brand new when i got it. my cluth does seem to be sliping from time to time. like when i have to clutch pedel press, my clutch would catch and the car would jump. (if that is even sliping?) but my biggest problem is that sometimes i would get stuck in first gear and can't get out of it.

James_spec

5+ Year Member
zdiver07 said:
try replacing the shifter bushings, get some aftermarket ones on ebay, mine are on their way!
can shifter bushings cause it not to go in gear? i don't think that is the problem but i would like to replace it for new ones just in case.

HighLife

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
James_spec said:
can shifter bushings cause it not to go in gear? i don't think that is the problem but i would like to replace it for new ones just in case.

I have the shifter bushing in my car. From the stock, they are MUCH harder. The reason why most people miss gear is that the stock bushing is like a foam, it doesnt really feel like a nice solid shift with the OEM bushings.

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont think bushing is an issue...its more of a clutch or just bad gears...not sure which one but i honestly dont think its the bushings.

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sorry to steal your thread for a bit but,

HighLife said:
I have the shifter bushing in my car. From the stock, they are MUCH harder. The reason why most people miss gear is that the stock bushing is like a foam, it doesnt really feel like a nice solid shift with the OEM bushings.
would new shifter bushings help with a problem where my R doesnt always engage properly? like sometimes it only half engages and it grinds when i give it gas so i just have to move it farther in.

James_spec

5+ Year Member
can lack of tranny fluid cause my gears to grind and not engage? if so do u guys know how to check for proper filling since there is no dipstick?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
James_spec said:
is it free? cause i don't want to pay a whole lot of money just for inspection.
Yep, april only.

And reply to most of the posters in the thread.... Shifter bushing will not help him with his problem. His car would go into gear if he had bushings or if he just jammed a piece of wood up there to use as a bushing.

James_spec

5+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
Yep, april only.

And reply to most of the posters in the thread.... Shifter bushing will not help him with his problem. His car would go into gear if he had bushings or if he just jammed a piece of wood up there to use as a bushing.
nice ill do that before this month ends. thanks for help.